Outdoor cucumber - no fruit

• 9 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Outdoor cucumber - no fruit
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:54 »
Hi growing the cucumber in a pot and is about 1m tall with lots of flowers but no fruit it resides outside daytime and indoors during the night.  Yellow flowers drop off after a time.  Any ideas on how to get this to produce cucumbers.  The plant is fed tomorite every week.

Mike
Cucumber (2).JPG
Cucumber (1).JPG
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:56 by greenhead »

Salmo

Re: Outdoor cucumber - no fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:11 »
Is it producing male flowers with a small cucumber behind them or just male?

It could be too dry. Try lots of water, preferably with tomorite or similar feed.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 14:08 »
Thanks Salmo, There are no small cucumbers at the back of the flowers so I take it the flowers are all male.  Does this mean the plant will not produce fruit?

Mike
cucumber (3).JPG

mikeimp

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 14:15 »
I have the same problem but with Peppers .I have contacted Thompson & Morgan who I purchased the seed from and sent photos to them.Lots and lots of flowers but not One fruit.The plants are big and healthy and well fed.Still awaiting their reply.Best of luck with yours.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 14:59 »
Not the same problem mikeimp - each pepper flower contains both male and female parts so "just" need to set to produce fruits.

Male cucumber flowers will never produce fruits - it helps to know the variety because some need the female flowers to be pollinated, some don't, although that's a bit academic if there are no female flowers at the moment!  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 16:15 »
Hi,  the variety is Market-more, the vine is now 4' tall with plenty of male flowers but no female flowers.  Is this cucumber plant gay or something!!

Mike.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:22 »
Can't really help you Greenhead - Marketmore is one of the only cucumber I have nearly always been successful with (this year I've had at least half a dozen off just one outdoor plant and there are at least another half dozen nearly ready.)

All I can think of is that some cuke varieties can behave rather strangely if stressed (I don't mean dying - that's normal ::) but all-female types producing some male flowers, for instance.)

I don't see what else you can do other than be as nice to it as you can, and then cross your fingers!

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38 »
I think that the problem is that the plant is stressed because the pot that it is in is too small and its roots are probably constricted. It is probably too late to do anything about this now but if you are going to grow cucumbers outdoors next year either use a larger pot (and do not bring indoors each evening) or plant directly in the ground.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04 »
I have one, in a larger pot, at the back of the greenhouse and it's doing exactly the same thing - all male flowers  ::) It is fed and watered just the same as the other 2, which are finally fruiting ok  :)

Goodness knows why - I think some are just stubborn like some people  :nowink:

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:33 »
I have 2 Marketmore plants outdoors this year and for a time one plant did as yours and refused to produce anything but male flowers. It has now decided to produce cucumbers. Hang in there.

xx
outdoor cucumber

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 23:01
by gobs
xx
Outdoor Cucumber

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 05:52
by paintedlady
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:18
by bonfire
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2022, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty

Page created in 1.361 seconds with 38 queries.