Quail Question

• 5 Replies

Mum2mj

Quail Question
« on: August 13, 2013, 15:46 »
Hello, I am toying with the idea of getting a few quail... :D if I were to have a rabbit hutch Dimensions being depth:28.6" Height: 32.5" (on legs) and length: 65"
How many quails would be comfortable in that size? It's the style where 1/3 is enclosed and 2/3 run
I'm primarily thinking of just for eggs but possibly in the future getting a male & breeding for the table though not sure its big enough for the male:female ratio. Was thinking courtinex (is that right?) as the breed.
Thankyou

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quail Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 21:04 »
You are better having less rather than more as it really cuts down on cleaning out.  I kept 2 in a hutch of similar size and it was easy to maintain.  You could keep 3 to 4 but that would be more maintenance and would give you 21 or 28 eggs per week.  If you are only wanting a few eggs I would stick to 2 quail. 

Coturnix quail are ideal for both eggs and as meat birds.  They come in a range of colours, Japanese, Italian, Golden, Tuxedo, Rosetta etc.  I find that my Italian are less aggressive than the other colours but that could be down to the breeding.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05 »
What is the height of the rabbit hutch inside? This is important as quail can fly up vertically very suddenly and get head injuries or break their necks! I think the recommended minimum height is 2'4. I had a height of 3' and still had one break its neck but I had no other head injuries. Quail do not roost or nest so the covered part of the hutch will only be so useful in so far as them getting shelter from the weather. How will you manage them in the winter? They generally need a little more cover than chickens from the really cold weather - I kept mine in a stable and when it was very cold covered the run with a carpet and they were fine. They will lay from about 6-8 weeks old and lay all summer. Do not be taken in by the stocking densities mentioned on the internet - they would be battery quail! They are very rewarding and visitors were far more taken with the quail than they were with my ducks and hens.

Go for it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 13:29 »
My hutch height is only low Sassy and they have never injured themselves as I think they have not managed enough thrust on take off.  My older ones are in a walk in run and don't seem to want to take off any more.  I have put some scaffolding netting across the top just in case they do though.  The only head injuries mine have suffered have been from an over zealous male.   :(

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 16:33 »
Hi, thanks for the replies, think I'll wait until next year before keeping quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 21:16 »
That might be best, if you are wanting eggs you would have to supplement the light they have during the winter.

xx
quail question

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 14:52
by Craigx
xx
quail question

Started by whittle91 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:51
by ANHBUC
xx
Hello - long time no cluck! - and a quail question ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 09:35
by 3frenchhens
xx
quail??

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 19:18
by lisa80

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 27 queries.