Hello - long time no cluck! - and a quail question ...

• 10 Replies

peggyprice

« on: January 12, 2009, 22:07 »
Hi all - gosh, it's been a long time, and lots of new names!  Good to see you're all still here though ... Rob, what happened with the ducks??

Been out of touch for ages 'cause I started a new job in Leeds and am working twelve hour days - haven't seen my girls in daylight for months - but we're all still here.  Though two of my four have now given up laying altogether - I keep threatening them with the chop but they don't seem to be taking any notice ... 8)

Anyway - have been prompted to return to the hen house because one of my colleagues suddenly mentioned today that he has four quail chicks currently living in his garage looking for a home - apparently his student son bought them as a Christmas present for someone and it didn't go down as well as expected  :roll:   One male, three female (and by the sounds of it the male is being given a bit of a tough time by the girls).

Anyone got any experience with quail?  Would they live with chickens or do they need their own accommodation? Any advice?  OH is absolutely clear that we're not having them; those of you that know me will remember just how hard he is to persuade ...  8)  8)  8)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 22:47 »
Hi Peggy

No idea about the quail but it's lovely to see you here again :D

betty

• Experienced Member
quail question
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 23:10 »
hello, a friend has both quail and chickens.  The chooks free range and he has little pens inside the chicken coop, and that is where the quail stay.  He has raised them together for years like that.  They are an enjoyable little bird. :)

Bodger

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:47 »
Quail would not survive with chickens. They are also very susceptable to attack from rats. They do need seperate accomodation in rat proof coops and runs.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:17 »
Hello Peggy !! Welcome back. :D

I was thinking about you a while back (not like that! :oops: ) and wondered where you were hiding. :)

I know Vember has had quail but sounds like you'll need to go purchasing from what Bodger says.

The Mallard thread is still out there (HERE) with the full story so far. And you'll need to catch up with the Titch & Co thread too. Take a couple of days off and read it all. :D

Rob 8)

Jellyhead

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47 »
Babe has Quails AND Bumbleequails so she might know :wink:

Welcome back PeggyPrice hope the job isnt taking it all out of you   :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 23:18 »
I have lots of quails and would not advise you to run them together, not in a very confined space anyway. The only exception I know to this is my uncle who has an old english game bantam (her choice - made it through a gap one day and stayed there) shacked up with his quails - she is tiny so does not bully them. These are Japanese quail, not the tiny button or chinese painted variety.  Quails are great to keep though. I would strongly advise if you have the space.  All the best.

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 22:08 »
Thanks all for the advice (and nice to see you again too, Aunty  :D ); feels like the quail would need their own run for their security since my girls freerange round the garden all day long - which is not something I was planning on doing so I'll probably give them a miss.

If anyone else wants four quail looking for a good home (I think they're currently in a garage somewhere in Gloucestershire) let me know and I'll pass the message on!

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 22:32 »
Not far from Foxy ! :wink:  :roll:

peggyprice

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 13:50 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Not far from Foxy ! :wink:  :roll:

That thought had crossed my mind, Rob; I gather she has a vacancy following the sad demise of my lovely Dorothy ... :wink:

3frenchhens

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:35 »
Hello, only just read this post as I've been a little poorly with this dreadful bug.  I keep Quail and Chickens and would never keep them together.  The chickens would kill them.  My Quail are in a raised run and house.  It's about a foot from the ground to keep the rats out.  They have lots of different areas in there, so that they can dust bath or just scratch around and they have plenty of places to hide if they want to.    I live in Oxfordshire and if they are still looking for a home I could meet half way and I would take them.  All mine are rescue, from people that just didn't want them for one reason or another.  They are the most endearing little birds.  Just let me know if I can help.

xx
Quail Question

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 21:16
by ANHBUC
xx
quail question

Started by whittle91 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:51
by ANHBUC
xx
quail question

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 14:52
by Craigx
xx
Long time no write

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:28
by blossom1044

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 27 queries.