Rhubarb question

• 22 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Rhubarb question
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 13:33 »
From about the end of june rhubarb stops putting out new leaves.

My rhubarb doesn't know what it's supposed to do then  ::) :lol:

Mine neither its still going mental but i am not picking it, soon it will reach four foot  :ohmy:

salmonking

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 17:36 »
ive got five new leaves sprouting this week!!!

BobE

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 17:48 »
I think its the end of July not June.  The season is a bit late this year as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 20:28 »
think i'll leave mine with all it's leaves until they die back as they are new crowns. then go along with everyone else.

silly as it sounds i didn't even realise they die off over winter. another lesson learnt.

thanks all.

As it's a new plant definitely don't pick too much - it will reward you in future years if you don't harvest it much in the first year or so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37 »
ooh I didn't know you were supposed to stop picking, I picked a lot yesterday as with the recent rain it has gone into overdrive and produced loads this last week  :unsure:

grinling

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 21:35 »
I have left mine to recover, though the chooks like the leaves!!!
I had 2 move 2 rhubarbs recently in the heatwave and a dig up and replant a week apart. So I sat them for 24 hours in a tub of water and dug a hole in the front garden, added horse maure, plonked in and firmed down with a foot and watered very well and they are still alive!!
Back garden rhubarb will be split Sept/Oct and move to front... thus no rhubarb will be picked next year so it can recover.

chrissie B

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 08:51 »
ive taken a load off and given some more away its still sending up new shoots and theres no change in taste so happy days , I think every thing is a little later this year , I have one called ruby I think when cooked the juice went a wonderful red colour .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 09:18 »
I'm still picking mine, but only gently now. I will stop at the end of August. IMHO providing the plant is well established and it is well supported in terms of feeding (mine get a good thick mulch of manure every year) you can pick on a little longer.

I generally start harvesting from Mar / April taking only a few sticks. By May/ June things are in full swing and I take whatever I want, then during July / Aug I start easing off what I pick. Having said all that if it is a bad season and the plants don't look good I stop harvesting earlier.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Rhubarb question

Started by Browser on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 10:16
by Ice
xx
Another rhubarb question.

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 08:52
by ianl
xx
Rhubarb question!

Started by pinkfairy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 19:40
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Rhubarb question

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 14:59
by Trillium

Page created in 0.753 seconds with 28 queries.