Rhubarb question

• 22 Replies

chrissie B

Rhubarb question
« on: July 31, 2013, 20:02 »
well after longing for rhubarb in my garden I have it in spades now ive had some off and they were red there are some huge ones which are green can I use these now if green , I have 2 crowns growing together I thought one had died so I planted another and low and behold the dead one sprang to life ,so all I need to know is can I use the green stalks and can I dig up my rhubarb when it dies back in the winter ,
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

BobE

Re: Rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 20:04 »
I was always told to stop picking at the end of July.
You can move and divide them Nov - Feb.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 20:40 »
Not all varieties are red, some are green, so in principle they will be OK to eat - but as Bob said, you should stop picking about now in order to let the plant energy go back into its roots from the remaining leaves / stalks.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 21:26 »
sorry to hi jack the thread.

when do you pull the stalks/ leaves that you leave from july?

i planted 2 crowns earlier this year pulled a handful of stalks over a month ago and left alone since so hopefully the crown will grow in strength.

BobE

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 21:50 »
Let them die back.  During late autum they will flop over and look a mess.  Just clear them away to the compost heap.  The energy has gone back into the root.  Next season you will get a bigger plant. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 22:02 »
I pulled a few for a crumle today, as there were still masses of leaves on there.

I always pick a few more stalks later, to use with the windfall apples to make some of my gran's apple and rhubarb chutney  :)

BobE

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 22:08 »
I agree with MOS.  I will pull a few more tomorrow.  I will try to leave just under half on the plant.  Thats never gone wrong for me.
(Ok I have a neigbour who takes stalks until the middle of August and his plants seem fine.  Im not certain that the times are critical.  Especially as my season this year was at least three weeks late.)
So, take a look at the plant, if it looks happy then take some more stems.  Gardening is not an exact science.

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 22:23 »
think i'll leave mine with all it's leaves until they die back as they are new crowns. then go along with everyone else.

silly as it sounds i didn't even realise they die off over winter. another lesson learnt.

thanks all.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 22:30 »
If you pick late it is quite often tough.  I made jam in September last year and it was as if I had put wet wood shavings in.  I ended up sieving the bits out to make it usable.
Anne

BobE

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 22:30 »
From about now the crown will start to take energy, presumably from the sun, via the leaves.  This will let the crown develop.  After about 8 years the crown will be so big that you will be able to dig it up, put a spade through it, get two or four big new crowns that you can plant (24 inches apart) You might be able to give one to a mate.  The process will repeat, Ive never had a crown die on me.  The splitting rejuvinates them.  When the crowns diameter is larger than your spade and a bit, then during the next winter divide and reorganise.
If you get too much you can make a demijon of wine with it.  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:54 »
thanks everyone I am going to pick some today them a load next week , jam is off the menu as I redid my strawberry and it cought on the bottom , ive rescued it but its not as nice as it was, memo to self don't try to improve whent its ok to start ha ha , thanks again .
chrissie b

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03 »
From about the end of june rhubarb stops putting out new leaves. The old ones get very stringy and the oxalic acid builds up. If there is plenty of rain they may put out a few more new leaves which are OK, otherwise leave them alone

BobE

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:25 »
I thought the last pulls were the end of July?

Agatha

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44 »
I judge on what the plant looks like - I stopped picking mine a couple of weeks ago as not much new growth.  Last year I picked into August as it was putting out loads of new shoots.  (I give mine a good mulch of compost or manure in early spring)
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 13:32 »
From about the end of june rhubarb stops putting out new leaves.

My rhubarb doesn't know what it's supposed to do then  ::) :lol:

xx
Rhubarb question!

Started by pinkfairy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 19:40
by The Norfolk Turkey
xx
Rhubarb Question

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 22:47
by clive f
xx
Rhubarb question

Started by elibump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 16:53
by elibump
xx
Rhubarb question..

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 01:14
by Trillium

Page created in 0.769 seconds with 30 queries.