Feeding courgettes and tomatoes

• 8 Replies

Anton

Feeding courgettes and tomatoes
« on: July 31, 2013, 15:48 »
My courgettes and tomatoes are growing nicely (tomatoes still a bit green about the gills) so do I have to keep giving them feeds on a weekly basis? If so do I have to do the same for the other plants now growing (runner beans, turnips, beetroots, leafbeet...)?

Anton

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding courgettes and tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 16:14 »
I feed my tomatoes when I remember  ::) I don't feed the others you've mentioned unless they look a bit tired  ;)

BobE

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 16:17 »
I only feed tomatoes.  Runner beans I try to keep wet thats about all. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 16:44 »
Outdoors in the ground it depends what sort of soil you have, and to a lesser extent how much rain you've had.

Took me a few years to realise that because most annual crops are quite shallow rooted they can run out of food quite quickly in sandy soil like mine, so most of them get extra feed during the growing season (not every week though.)

Tomatoes are probably best fed at least once a week once they start setting fruit though, especially if in pots or growbags as they run out of nutrients quite quickly.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Anton

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 17:26 »
It's been very wet followed by a two-week dry spell. The soil is heavy with clay. Anton

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 18:12 »
If your soil was well prepared and your plants look strong, healthy and green there is nothing to worry about, although the occasional liquid feed won't do them any harm if you're not sure.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 18:52 »
I'm only feeding my toms with comfrey tea once a week - they are beginning to look like trees!! ... other veg all look good so no need to waste money on feeding them.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

seaside

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 20:23 »
Like many other folk this year, I suspect, the courgettes are doing rudely well.
So, I'm certainly not feeding them, and in fact I'm actually thinking of pulling a couple up that are snaking around the sweet corn .. no point in having plants taking up nutrients to produce surplus fruit we're not going to be able to eat, and I guess I don't sit comfortably with just composting good uneaten glut produce.

As for the tomatoes, my plants are the same as last year roughly, just 2 to 3 weeks behind. I now  feed the greenhouse toms once a week with comfrey tea whilst watering. The outside plums have been fed only once this season, as I seem to think they have more nutrients available from the soil than their greenhouse brothers. To be honest, I treat those outside toms as dead men walking.

The only other crops I am feeding are the sweet corn and Winter/Spring brassicas with the odd chicken pellets and nettle tea as I have it to use up. Oh, and some extra fbb/chicken pellets for the outside butternut and Brussels to give them a boost. My soil still isn't the greatest yet, so some things do need a fix.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 20:27 by seaside »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:31 »
Do not feed courgettes they will murder you in your sleep.

Honestly we are drowning in them, they need no help  :blink:

xx
Feeding tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:38
by SUTTY1
xx
feeding tomatoes

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 12:41
by peterjf
xx
Feeding tomatoes

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 19:49
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Stop feeding tomatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 06:35
by Growster...

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 30 queries.