Another potato question

• 6 Replies

al78

Another potato question
« on: July 17, 2013, 22:49 »
I'm having a think about next year, and was wondering what is the best way of growing potatoes so that I can supply myself for as long as possible. I have two methods in mind:

1.  Grow first and second earlies, and maincrops, eat the first and second earlies whilst the maincrops continue to maturity, then start on the maincrops and store some over the winter.

2.  Grow first and seoond earlies, then whilst I am eating those, start another lot of earlies in, say, July which should be ready by the time I run out of the first lot, then harvest this second batch.

I have plenty of space so that is not an issue. I am interested in trying to become as self sufficient in veg as possible (I appreciate this may take a while).

What do you think?

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Another potato question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 22:54 »
I was thinking about putting some more first earlies in now for some new pots later. Is this a goer?

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 23:00 »
I was thinking about putting some more first earlies in now for some new pots later. Is this a goer?

Assuming that you mean you are going to plant some of the spuds you have just lifted then no, they won't produce tubers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 23:01 by Lincolnshire Floyd »

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 23:04 »
2.  Grow first and seoond earlies, then whilst I am eating those, start another lot of earlies in, say, July which should be ready by the time I run out of the first lot, then harvest this second batch.

See answer above.
You would have to buy seed potatoes that have been kept back specially for a crop around Christmas. As these are expensive and a bit of a luxury then your first option is the better one in my view.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 23:07 by Lincolnshire Floyd »

al78

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 23:53 »

See answer above.
You would have to buy seed potatoes that have been kept back specially for a crop around Christmas. As these are expensive and a bit of a luxury then your first option is the better one in my view.

Ok thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a go with a maincrop variety next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:15 »
We are pretty much self sufficient in potatoes - first earlies from bags by the beginning of June (some manage it earlier but not me this year) then mid June onwards to beginning of August eating first earlies as we dig. Sneak some kestrels for roasties.

Dig up the rest, plus the second earlies (which store well until around Christmas) early August - although the seconds are always ready to dig and eat as you go before this.

Dig up the maincrops as late as possible, ideally by the end of September but can be into October if they are still growing. these store through to March/April -- I make some into frozen wedges and over ready roasties for the gap time

All this is blight-willing of course. Werks fer me  ;)

Never had much success with the 'held over' first earlies for spuds at Christmas, but we have enough anyway tbh
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

crh75

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19 »
We are pretty much self sufficient in potatoes - first earlies from bags by the beginning of June (some manage it earlier but not me this year) then mid June onwards to beginning of August eating first earlies as we dig. Sneak some kestrels for roasties.

Dig up the rest, plus the second earlies (which store well until around Christmas) early August - although the seconds are always ready to dig and eat as you go before this.

Dig up the maincrops as late as possible, ideally by the end of September but can be into October if they are still growing. these store through to March/April -- I make some into frozen wedges and over ready roasties for the gap time

All this is blight-willing of course. Werks fer me  ;)

Never had much success with the 'held over' first earlies for spuds at Christmas, but we have enough anyway tbh

That is pretty much they way I do it as well.

xx
Potato Question

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 21:58
by Brambles
xx
Potato Question

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 14:36
by Glyn
xx
Potato question

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:50
by Trillium
xx
Potato Question

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 21:20
by goodtogrow

Page created in 0.76 seconds with 29 queries.