Harvesting 1st and 2nd earlies

• 4 Replies

Kirpi

Harvesting 1st and 2nd earlies
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:27 »
I'm thinking of using this nice dry hot weather to fork out my Kestrel (2nd early) for storing.

Also my first earlies (Lady Crystl) are starting to look more like jacket potatoes without jackets - getting way to big to be earlies!

question though - am I too early to fork out my Kestrels. Have they got more growing to do - do you think?  I do want the ground for a Butternut Squash I have waiting in the wings.

Salmo

Re: Harvesting 1st and 2nd earlies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24 »
You can lift the kestrels but do not plan to store for more than a few weeks as they will not be mature.

You could remove some of the tops, plant your squash in the exposed space between the rows, and then dig the potatoes as you need them.

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00 »
Now there's an idea. Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:23 »
"Earlies" does not refer to the fact that they'll be small - commonly called "new" potatoes, but the amount of time they need to grow to maturity.

Any potato you are considering growing for storing needs to be left until the foliage yellows, otherwise it will not be mature.

Removing foliage will reduce the plant's food making capability and may mean smaller spuds, but you may not mind this.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:36 »
Thanks DD. On this occasion, I don't mind this as I have a decent looking maincrop bringing up the rear so a continued supply of smaller "new" potatoes would be my plan.

Smaller potatoes on one or two plants will be a fair trade off against the butternut squashes I may get from the plant waiting to go in.

xx
Harvesting second earlies

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 14:30
by New shoot
xx
2nd earlies ready for harvesting already? (Kestrel)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 12:51
by Totty
xx
First Earlies

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 09:44
by Eblana
xx
First earlies

Started by Handy Andi on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 20:33
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 36 queries.