Chooks wont go to bed.

• 8 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Chooks wont go to bed.
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:22 »
Hi people.

My chooks wont go into the coop from the day 1. It's new coop i built they just jump on top and sleep there i have been putting them in for few times but still no difference. They rest in there during the day. Any ideas guys?

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: Chooks wont go to bed.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45 »
are you there 24/7 im pretty sure they'll go in its pretty warm at mo so prob with not bein used to new home they quite happy outside ,if you want them in id round them up and lock them inside for a while ,im sure they'll eventually get the hang of things

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:57 »
Could it be anything to do with the height from ground to coop door, as in they want to feel like they're going high enough up to roost....hence they can easily jump on top of it...is there scope to elevate your coop, if you get my drift....

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 13:06 »
I think i get what u mean lol. The coop door is 1ft high off the ground and the total height of the coop is 4ft they fly all the way up there, we had some cooler nights.. I guess im just gona have to keep trying :)

One more question, my broody started laying again and i gave her only 1 antibiotic about week ago. Should i disregard her eggs or can i eat them? I have thrown 1 away. What are the reasons we cant eat the eggs?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 14:07 »
You will need to consult the vet who prescribed the antibiotics for the egg withdrawal period.  I am sure you don't want to eat food that has even the slightest traces of antibiotics in them.   ;)

Just keep putting your birds on the roost bar each night and they will adjust to their new home in time.  The only reason they may not want to go in as your will be aware is if you have a red mite infestation.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 15:13 »
I have checked they arent any redmite, the coop was painted with diatom slurry after it was built but i have checked cant see any redmite, i think thy r not used to it yet.   :D

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 17:13 »
put a small run on the front and shut them in that for a few days ! problem solved  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35 »
It is best to shut them into the house for the first 24 hours you have them and they get the idea. Unless you can put a run on I wouldn't shut them in the house whilst it is so warm :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:53 »
Im gona let them be till it gets cooler. They are fully feathered so will be fine outside.

xx
hen wont lay

Started by olly_62 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:07
by Jeanette
xx
old hen wont let new ones in!!

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 12:43
by Jones the Search
xx
New hen that wont go to roost

Started by old chook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 12:31
by Mulberry1990
xx
My ducks just WONT sit!!!!!

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 20:25
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 36 queries.