My ducks just WONT sit!!!!!

• 5 Replies

matilda duck

My ducks just WONT sit!!!!!
« on: April 25, 2009, 20:34 »
I am cross and fed up. 
After last months disaterous attempts at the ducks hatching(chickens ate the eggs) the shed was seperated.  The chickens can no longer get to the ducks ;)
Well I put some lovely straw in for them and made it just right...so I thought.  They made a nest and laid their eggs in there.  For the last 10 days I have been taking eggs out that I don't want in there!!!!!! 
In a morning Tufty or Snowy is usually sat on the nest but when we let them out onto the garden, that's it for the day they just will NOT sit on these eggs.  I have moved food closer so they may get the idea but NO!!!!!

I give in!!!! no Zorro babies for us!!!!!!!    I quite fancied crested Zorro's :lol:

Vember

Re: My ducks just WONT sit!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 20:47 »
Dee did that for 14 days MD before she decided to sit proper :)

There's time yet honest :D

Try leaving the eggs in if you can do with out them? Date mark them at the air cell end so u know which are which, once she's been sitting proper for a few days & only when she gets off for food, go and remove as many of the older eggs that you want leaving her with the amount you want her to sit :)

Sarah :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:29 »
Do you have a broody hen they tend to make better mothers and will raise ducks. Get a bit upset when they start to swim mind!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 18:24 »
Swap you for Sally, my Appleyard. I can't get her off the nest at the moment and she's not laying at the moment (well hasn't in the last 4 days) and there are no eggs there. Have had to shut of the house for 3 days now but if I give her a chance she is in there sat firm!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matilda duck

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59 »
Ohh Kate arn't you lucky!!  Even today they have no interest so I think I'm going to give up and take all the eggs out!!!! >:(

Light bulb moment....How about I give her some eggs to sit on????? :tongue2:

Mary has Just been looking throught the Katie Thear book and pointed out the ducks we are going to have next???????
1st was a muscovy.....no sorry I don't like them :mellow:
2nd Cayuga  she thinks they will be nice????
3rd Silver Appleyard....looks pretty!!!
4th White Indian Runners.....well ......

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 20:25 »
I would love to let har have a brood but it's just the timing that's the problem. She couldn't have gone broody before I got the incubator out could she! Now the problem is that the only place I have for her to be broody, sit and raise the ducklings is the ark where my ducklings are moving to when they go outside full time before they move in with the big ducks. Ah well. Would have loved to offer you her services.

Plan B is nowhere need as much fun but if you want to put the eggs in my incubator could hatch them there for you.

xx
my muscovy ducks wont go to bed.

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 08:21
by Sassy
xx
Chickens wont allow ducks to feed

Started by jacko007 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 11:02
by HAPPYCHICKENHOME
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
hen wont lay

Started by olly_62 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:07
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 27 queries.