Poisoned courgettes.

• 8 Replies

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
Poisoned courgettes.
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:00 »
We planted 9 courgette plants and they were doing really well. We plant them straight into well rotted cow poo and have always had great results.

Went down the plot on Friday to find 7 out of the 9 were turning yellow, on closer inspection so were some of our runner beans and peas. All these are planted along the path line.
It appears that the previous neighbouring plot owner had been asked to vacate the plot and so just before he left he sprayed weed killer all around the plot boundary and on some of the plant on his plot. Mainly rubbarb, gooseberry and currant plants but also he caught our courgettes, beans and peas.
We spoke to the committee members and because he has left they can do nothing about it and are unwilling to even if they could.
Lesion learnt, we will be putting a fence up to protect our crops.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Beetroot queen

Re: Poisoned courgettes.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:40 »
The previous tenant on one of ours was asked to leave and his plot was already under two foot of weeds so he tipped three full sacks of growmore over the whole plot. Some people do very strange things.

Maybe you could arrange to do a veg swap on site so you dont miss out. You will have a glut of something else for sure.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48 »
So he sprayed weedkiller on your plants and there's nothing they can want to do about it?

Sounds like criminal damage to me.

Never stop learning

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 13:11 »
Mother-Hen - I really feel for you, that's a really poopy thing to do. It's a great shame that some people behave like that, maybe you could get his address and drop a suitably worded 'thank you' letter through his door. It won't make any difference but at least you can vent a little.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 13:14 »
It maybe best to avoid a dispute with the ex plot holder, lets be honest he knows where you are. Mainy ex tenants dont often give back keys or have spares cut. When people are forced to leave they often leave very mad and people do wicked things when mad.

I am not saying he was right but i would just grumble on here but just move on. Turn the other cheek and all that  ;) just my opinion for what its worth

madcat

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 13:26 »
Agreed - he sounds vindictive and a throughly nasty man.  He sprayed to hurt his neighbours and whoever takes over (all the permanent planting killed) ....  in the long run you are well rid.

We lost a batch of beans one year to a neighbour's spraying - just incompetence not vindictive.  But since that was all he did on the plot that year, we never saw him to remonstrate!   ::)  That is why I alway resist spraying on the site.  It just asks for problems in the wrong hands.  But at least it was early enough to replant.... 

You never know, if they only got misted they might pull through with a good feed and some TLC
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 20:14 »
Thanks for your replies.

How ever much it would be good to reap some revenge, at the end of the day what is the point. The man has gone and at least we still have the two plants left and plenty of peas and beans. It's just so frustrating.

We are going to leave the plants in for a little while and see what happens..... You never know, nature has a way of repairing itself given the chance.

I hope the man has a nice life......... Am a great believer in what goes around comes around.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 20:16 »
Best way to be mother hen. Fingers crossed for the plants

jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 23:24 »
hi sounds like the idiots on our local allotments who put 5 litres of roundup in a 4 gallon knapsack sprayer then add 3 gallons of water they call it their scorched earth policy  jezza

xx
Hello, and has my land been poisoned?

Started by Adey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 11:30
by mumofstig
xx
Poisoned my potatoes

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 12:05
by aelf
question
Have I poisoned my potatoes with Magnesium Sulphate?

Started by tturc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 16:59
by 8doubles
xx
Problem with poisoned rats disposed of in compost.

Started by Seguinaud on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2017, 15:18
by arh

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 28 queries.