Broccoli - Questions and Issues

• 5 Replies

whitehifi

• Adventures With Nature
Broccoli - Questions and Issues
« on: July 08, 2013, 17:48 »
Hello,

I have a few questions concerning broccoli that are not covered in 'the book'.

First, my broccoli is flowering, does this mean it has bolted and will not produce in late winter/early spring, should I cut these flowers off?

Second, I have caterpillars eating the leaves, there are two kinds, short green ones and a longer black and yellow one, what am I able to do to eliminate or control them? I have tried mild soapy water but it has not appeared to do anything as they hang about the underside of the leaves.

If you require any photos or other info I can provide. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Craig

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Broccoli - Questions and Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 17:53 »
The caterpillars are from small and large cabbage white butterflies.................if you don't net it you don't get it, is very true. Most people cover all brassicas with netting to stop the catterpillars and the birds.

Pick the caterpillars and squash any eggs on the undersides of the leaves. Or you can spray with Provado Ultimate bug spray (the vegetable one) http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/u/Provado-Ultimate-Fruit-,-a-,-Vegetable-Bug-Killer-Ready-to-Use.aspx

Yes, if it's flowering then it is bolting  :(

whitehifi

• Adventures With Nature
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 18:00 »
The caterpillars are from small and large cabbage white butterflies.................if you don't net it you don't get it, is very true. Most people cover all brassicas with netting to stop the catterpillars and the birds.

Pick the caterpillars and squash any eggs on the undersides of the leaves. Or you can spray with Provado Ultimate bug spray (the vegetable one) http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/u/Provado-Ultimate-Fruit-,-a-,-Vegetable-Bug-Killer-Ready-to-Use.aspx

Yes, if it's flowering then it is bolting  :(

Am I able to save the broccoli in any way?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 19:42 »
If you cut the flowerheads off it may throw some more shoots that you can pick and eat - but you'd have to catch them earlier than this lot that you let flower  ;)

They certainly wont last into winter and spring though  :( Maybe it would be better to buy some plug plants to replace them.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 22:51 »
I was just about to post the same question about bolting . . . Three of mine have, one day fine two days later yellow flowers . .  So disappointing, how would I know that its about to bolt . . . Is their any signs. Not grown it before. Have 3 more plants and 5 psb so advice please  :blink:
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

seaside

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 22:59 »
With all broccoli, and calabrese too, one can see the heads thinking of opening a few days before they do, the individual flower heads loosen.
The mistake is to leave and hope the head continues to grow without flowering ... it doesn't. At least there is a chance that other smaller heads might grow. They can flower in an undeveloped sense under the wrong conditions more than any brassica I know.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 23:03 by seaside »

xx
Garlic Issues

Started by Carmen7878 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:32
by Trillium
xx
Leek issues

Started by Jiskoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 18:08
by Jiskoot
xx
Bay plant issues

Started by matt2005 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 21:02
by fatcat1955
xx
cauliflower issues

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 20:44
by 44hexx

Page created in 0.914 seconds with 38 queries.