Gooseberries, Blueberries and Jostaberries

• 10 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries, Blueberries and Jostaberries
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:17 »
This year my white currants are fruiting well as are some of Gooseberries but not all any advice for the problem ones? A lot of the problem ones had a bad year last year with sawfly but this year I am regularly killing them sometimes there are none there.

The jostaberry which I planted in 2007 has had its first bad year, should I prune?

The blueberries which are in pots have also had their first bad year.  Should I repot them?

BabbyAnn

Re: Gooseberries, Blueberries and Jostaberries
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38 »
When the plants are stripped of their leaves, they don't have the resources to put into flower/fruit production the following year so this year's bushes are just recovering and building up stock - I'd be surprised if you don't get a good one next year (weather permitting of course)

Have you been putting fertiliser down - if the plants have been in the same place for years, the soil might be getting a little starved.  You'll need an all purpose fertiliser to water in which also contains trace and micro-nutrients - you don't need a fertiliser high in nitrogen or potash at this time of year, but come autumn you could dig in some well rotted manure, and maybe a spring dressing early next year to boost the potassium levels.

If the blueberries haven't been repotted in some time, then maybe it might be a good idea (use the ericaceous compost)

If you haven't pruned the bushes in some time, you could perhaps trim some off but don't be too heavy handed or you might be pruning off next year's harvest as well.  Some berries come from the branches grown the year before, so you should read up on it before using the secateurs to be sure you know what you are doing.   

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 20:15 »
The plants have been in place between 3-6 years apart from a little nettle tea I have only fed them once
with turbo booster.  Sadly two of the gooseberry bushes have been attacked again this year, I am spraying them with washing up liquid so hopefully they can recover by the end of the year.
Any other ideas to help them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 22:24 »
washing up liquid won't kill sawfly  :( either squash them all or Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Spray (the veg one) works ;)

Give the plants a good feed this winter

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47 »
washing up liquid won't kill sawfly  :( either squash them all or Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Spray (the veg one) works ;)

Give the plants a good feed this winter
It is hard to find them all.  Although I am trying very hard.
When in winter should they be fed and with what?

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 13:57 »
One other thing in my front garden last year I had 3 gooseberry bushes.  All were very badly attacked by sawfly,  my mum killed one because she wanted to kill them and she had an excuse.
I moved one of the others and planted a new one.
The only one that has not been moved is the worst attacked.
Would it be worth in winter digging them up, removing the soil and replanting them?  Maybe the process of digging destroys the sawfly pupae.
I am not sure what I would do with the soil.  I guess put it in the compost heap (before removing any compost for the gooseberries).

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 15:29 »
Have you fed the blueberries?  Mine have been in the same pots for years but are top-dressed every 2-3 years and fed fortnightly through the growing season with a liquid ericaceous feed.  They crop better each year and only have damaged, weak or crossing growth removed.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 16:04 »
Have you fed the blueberries?  Mine have been in the same pots for years but are top-dressed every 2-3 years and fed fortnightly through the growing season with a liquid ericaceous feed.  They crop better each year and only have damaged, weak or crossing growth removed.
No but I will do so.  What is a good ericaceous feed?  Also can I get it from Wilkinsons?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 17:16 »
Ericaceous is designed for lime-hating plants such as camellias, rhododenrons etc.  Blueberries also like acidic conditions.

I have a granular one.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Wilko's has a version.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 17:40 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hubballi

Agatha

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 13:36 »
I feed alternately with miracle grow ericaceous feed & liquid seaweed with sequestered iron but any ericacous feed would do.  As yorkie says it is great for camellias and rhododendrons and orchids and stephanotis like it too!

xx
Blueberries and Gooseberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 10:04
by londongardener
xx
Gooseberries, blackcurrants, blueberries in containers

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 16:31
by Trillium
xx
Jostaberries

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2020, 14:27
by Anguswylie
xx
following on from Jostaberries..........

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 10:17
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 30 queries.