following on from Jostaberries..........

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
following on from Jostaberries..........
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:14 »
I've been looking at Boysenberries Tayberries and Loganberries and I'm now thoroughly  :wacko:

Does anybody grow these? any recommendations? - it has to be thornless because the wires are very near the path between the plots.

sarajane

Re: following on from Jostaberries..........
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:45 »
I have a loganberry.  We moved it last year as it was not thornless and it is very prickly.

You will only need one of these Mum as they are easy to propogate with tip layering.  The crop extremely well and my grandkiddlies prefer loganberry jam to any other I make.  It is delicious and also goes well with apples for crumbles, pies etc.

Can't comment on the others but definately go for a thornless variety.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 13:45 »
I have both loganberry and tayberry.  You can buy a thornless variety called Loganberry LY 654.  Fruit set at first is very slow and took a good couple of years before yields got going.  The fruits are like an elongated raspberry but has firmer flesh, are very tart but ram packed full of flavour.  Don't eat a raspberry soon after as they taste quite paltry afterwards ...  :wub: but they do make good fruits for jams.

Blackberry/raspberry hybrids tend to grow quite big (canes easily 10-15 feet long) and I would highly recommend tying up to a frame.

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 14:42 »
I have both loganberry and tayberry but do not know which is which, as they both came from the same company at the same time and the labels were missing :( There are also both plants on the other plot I work, they seem to be taking a while to fruit well, so it is good to hear from Babbyann that this is normal. I do like them as they seem to have more flavour than the raspberries. Hoping that I may get a handful or two of my own fruit next year :)

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 14:57 »

I've got two Loganberries a Boysenberry and two Tayberrys

The Tayberry is very thorny ,while the loganberry( L654) and boysenberry are not.

I planted them in November last year,and they were about two foot tall.The growth in the summer? was amazing.

There now have about 8 canes on each plant 14ft+ long,only two on the Tayberrys but about 16ft.

I had a few very large fruit this year,which I wasn't expecting, hopefully judging by the length of canes I will have loads next year

Cheers Carl  

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 20:40 »
You can buy either as thornless plants.  Loganberry fruits are usually larger and deeper coloured.  They are quite tart, but are amazing cooked.  Tayberries are a little sharp, but you could eat them raw with a little sugar.

I have both, but prefer the loganberry  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:22 »
I have thornless tayberries and logan berries and they are very prolific (bought them in Aldi's for £1.99 ech two years ago)

The are on frames, which get quite heavy with the weight of foliage and they need a good 2.5m run really. Well worth the space imho

Have made jam, eaten them stewed and mixed with other cane fruit too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 09:23 »
I've got a thornless blackberry along our dividing fence, it has long arching stems, which I wove through the fence.  This year with all the water it grew at least 3 m in each direction so needs something to twine along.  Also it gets cut back after fruiting like a summer rasp.
Anne

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:47 »
I also have one Loganberry bush although it's not thornless.

As the others have said it produces fruit around the same time as the summer raspberries and gets pruned in the same way as summer raspberries when it's finished fruiting.

Also, as others have said, they grow well on wire frames and, for us, produce a good crop.

Cannot comment on Tayberries or Boysenberries as it's not something I've tried. In fact I've got to be honest and say I had never heard of Boysenberries until I was looking in the seed catalogues about this time last year.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59 »
I inherited a boysenberry on my plot. It is rampant and needs careful pruning and good supports. The fruit is delicious as everyone on the site told me when I took the plot over. It had been vacant for a year and everyone had been sampling!

Forgot - it is thornless

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:57 »
Thanks everyone - I've ordered a Boysenberry and a Buckingham Tayberry  :)
I confirmed with the supplier that both are thornless before ordering  ;)

With the Caseille already ordered from DT Brown I think I'll have enough soft fruit   :lol: roll on 2014 .................

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 13:35 »
With the Caseille already ordered from DT Brown I think I'll have enough soft fruit   :lol: roll on 2014 .................

No such thing as too much  :lol:  Nothing like pulling soft fruit out of the freezer through the winter to make a lovely pud  :D

I think you will be happy with your new investments  :)

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 14:02 »
Good for you getting a thornless Tayberry, as the thorns stay embedded for several months after a pick...

A neighbour  has a bed of them, and has ingeniously wound them round and round just four posts, at each corner of the bed which is about 5' x 4'.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 16:49 »
well, one plant would have filled the spare space on the wires, so I guess I'm putting up some more posts and wires now  :lol:

Ho Hum!  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 19:21 »

No such thing as too much  :lol:  Nothing like pulling soft fruit out of the freezer through the winter to make a lovely pud  :D

I think you will be happy with your new investments  :)

That's the real answer, News!

Trifle from one's own raaaas on the day after Xmonius!

Marvellous...

xx
Jostaberries

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 18:57
by realfood
xx
Jostaberries

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2020, 14:27
by Anguswylie
xx
Gooseberries, Blueberries and Jostaberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 13:36
by Agatha

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 30 queries.