following on from Jostaberries..........

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: following on from Jostaberries..........
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 13:40 »
The Boysenberry has put up strong canes - about 3ft long so far but the Tayberry is only about 12ins high still, although it's definitely alive.
They have both been watered and they both had compost and bonemeal added at planting time.

Is the Tayberry a dud'un - or will it catch up next year, do you think?

allotmentann

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 15:34 »
I think tayberries and Loganberries are quite slow to get going, having said that I planted both and a boysenberry at the same time and they have all developed roughly the same. My boysenberry has certainly not grown as well as it seems yours has done. It is the only one of the three to produce a berry! (Yes, just one!). It was a delicious berry.  ::)
The other plot I work on has had both Logan and tay berries planted for several years, and although the plants are now quite large they are still not fruiting like the raspberries planted at the same time. So I do think they are perhaps just a little slow.  :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 20:30 »
We have all of the above, but its the first year for them so i cant comment yet. I just wanted any fruit good for jam making that you cant buy.

I have three tayberries, blame poundland, i thought we'd kill off a few but they all took.

The rest we have just one of each but i think we'll be glad next year as ours on our site are swimming in fruits  :happy:  i need to do some posts and wires and aim to train them where i wnt them to go. Not sure of we hqve thornless or not. I'll let you know

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 21:10 »
I've tayberries,loganberries and boysenberries.

The boysenberry ,if like mine will reach15ft+ with up to 10-15 canes with canes off these also.

The tayberry was slower to get going ,but had two long canes 15ft +.

These were planted last february ,had a little fruit last year ,and boat loads this year ,especially from the boysenberry.

The fruit from the boysenberry was very large ,one inch long and very tasty ,whereas thetayberry was a bit tart ,but was sweeter if left on the canes longer ,provided the birds didn't eat them first .

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 23:47 »
Thanks everyone - I've ordered a Boysenberry and a Buckingham Tayberry  :)
I confirmed with the supplier that both are thornless before ordering  ;)
With the Caseille already ordered from DT Brown I think I'll have enough soft fruit   :lol: roll on 2014 .................
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier (my fault, I know :nowink:).  Have the Buckingham Tayberry replacement waiting to go in now (due to a helpful weeder while I was on hol's  :lol:).  I do hope it does well, although the one berry on my last (now deceased) plant was apparently quite tasty (according to son of said weeder).  ::) :D :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17 »
You could do without help like that  ::)  :nowink:

xx
Jostaberries

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 18:57
by realfood
xx
Jostaberries

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 21, 2020, 14:27
by Anguswylie
xx
Gooseberries, Blueberries and Jostaberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 13:36
by Agatha

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 30 queries.