how tall are your tatties

• 9 Replies

caro810

how tall are your tatties
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:17 »
hi looking around the allotments my potatoes seem to be the tallest by some way not sure if thats good or bad, mine are even taller than those that were put in before me i used loads of manure in the beds sept/oct and added BFB before planting in spring they are kestrel and a good 2foot tall starting to get flowers they look great but if they are so lush on top maybe i dont have any potatoes :( 1st time growing only got the lottie in aug last year so did not have anything growing then, so should i have done anything different :wacko:

ghost61

Re: how tall are your tatties
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32 »
My International Kidney are the same. I had a little grub around in the soil and found a pea sized potato, but that was a couple of weeks ago.  I hope, now that they are coming into flower, that they are not all top and no bottom!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:33 »
You cannot compare the height of potato haulms against another, unless you know what you're comparing with. Different varieties have different heights and this can vary hugely.

Yes, you can feed incorrectly and have the plant put on a lot of foliar growth to the detriment of the tubers - but there's only one way to find out what's happened!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

grendel

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:36 »
I had a weedy little 3" high potato that looked a bit dead, it accidently got weeded yesterday, and even that had 3 pea sized tattys on the bottom, as for the rest - they are mostly about a foot high now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 07:38 »
Apart from not comparing the behaviour of different varities, you might also have done less earthing up than others, making your plants appear taller.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39 »
Mine at home are huge but not convinced they have a good harvest under. They were put in black bins which had been filled with a third of chicken manure.

The ones at the plot are all up and only about a foot high, they didnt get manured like the ones at home. Time will tell.

miggs

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:43 »
I have got 4 lots of spuds in. 1st earlies, 2nd earlies, salads and main. They are all about 1 foot tall. Will be digging up 1st's later today, hopefully, if all go's well.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43 »
I have  Kestrel at almost 3 ft. They are in quite a shady plot though. My Desiree, King Ted and Maris Piper are all taller than usual as well. Saying that, they all have the healthiest foliage I've ever had on a tayty. The strange thing is the main crops are in full flower, but the Kestrel is only just showing some flower heads, and they've been in the ground 2 weeks longer than the main crops.  The only thing I've done different this year is prepare the beds with growmore rather than real manure.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:26 »
my potato haulms stand far taller at night than in the day. They always surprise me by how much taller they are when I put the ducks in late at night, presumably once the sun is down and stalks catch up with water levels they stand better.
R

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 13:07 »
mine are around 2 feet

xx
new tatties

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 08:56
by Nikkithefoot
xx
My Tatties in the bin

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 18:40
by gobs
xx
tatties

Started by broken glass on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 20:04
by digalotty
xx
tatties

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 21:32
by colin120

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.