tatties for tea

• 8 Replies

DadBear

• Experienced Member
tatties for tea
« on: May 28, 2007, 21:13 »
Anyone thinking about lifting first earlies yet...?  i have just come in from the garden with a lovely big Arran first early.... :D  my plants have been in since march and are flowering... should I lift a few now or leave them a bit longer till the haulm dies down? Am a bit confused this year due to the really warm april.... I dont want to leave them too long though... hmmmm.... :?
trying to be organic....

WG.

tatties for tea
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 21:28 »
Several recent threads on this one DB.  Basically a case of "eat if you can't wait for the bigger crop".

DadBear

• Experienced Member
tatties for tea
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 21:57 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Several recent threads on this one DB.  Basically a case of "eat if you can't wait for the bigger crop".

Yes, i've had a read at them. I was alittle surprised at the size of the specimen I unearthed tonight, although I have just read the Arran Pilot produces a large tuber under any circumstances. I think i'll dig a few up tomorrow night and get Mrs Bear to boil them up with some of our rural asparagus for tea! A fine experiment!! :D

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
tatties for tea
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:05 »
all my Rockets are in flower at the moment but i remember the old guy on the neighbouring plot digging his up about July last year and  they were massive :) ,so i think i might wait if i can restrain myself :lol:

DadBear

• Experienced Member
tatties for tea
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "mum of 3"
all my Rockets are in flower at the moment but i remember the old guy on the neighbouring plot digging his up about July last year and  they were massive :) ,so i think i might wait if i can restrain myself :lol:

my earlies were lovely last night... skin lovely and thin!! think will leave the rest till the flowers have gone though!!! :D

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
tatties
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 17:44 »
I dug some up that had sprouted from peelings in the compost heap.
Made about 3 boilings, heinz 57 varity i suppose but very nice.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

brucesgirl

tatties for tea
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 19:26 »
Okay I said I may ask some stupid questions. I planted some spuds in pots (before we got our allotment) and last week I pulled one potful out. Obviously too early as they were all the size of marbles. But there were five full size ones, which my husband said were the ones I had planted, so we didn't eat them. Is he right? and how would you know?

DadBear

• Experienced Member
tatties for tea
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 20:38 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Okay I said I may ask some stupid questions. I planted some spuds in pots (before we got our allotment) and last week I pulled one potful out. Obviously too early as they were all the size of marbles. But there were five full size ones, which my husband said were the ones I had planted, so we didn't eat them. Is he right? and how would you know?

He's right... the ones you planted would have acted like seed potatoes and 'sprouted' causing the little marbly ones to form...if they are maincrop type potatoes they won't be anywhere near ready yet, thats why they are so small....wait a wee while and they'll be fine :D

pwgun

tatties for tea
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 21:45 »
dug up some nice sized rocket that i put in mid feb.a couple hed some small white, almost protruding spots, that rubbed off easily.  Dad reckons he had it years ago when he had a plot, but this is my first year and would like to know what this is. thanx
When the sun shines i dig,
When rain pours i dig
When the wind blows---I SURF.

Allan

xx
tatties

Started by broken glass on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 20:04
by digalotty
xx
Tatties

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 23:02
by Dreadlock
xx
tatties

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 21:32
by colin120
xx
tatties again....

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 18:27
by arugula

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.