Supporting tomato plants.

• 10 Replies

Stree

Supporting tomato plants.
« on: June 15, 2013, 20:28 »
 Wondering what people use to tie up their toms, and what method of tying and knotting?

mike0001

• Experienced Member
Re: Supporting tomato plants.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 20:41 »
I just use the circular clips that you bend against canes.... no wire or string as such

and yes my tomatos have gone mad

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 20:46 »
I grow mine up a length of twine. Fixed top and bottom and as the toms grow I wind the tom round the twine.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:10 »
Same here, Kate, and I also do that with cucumbers!

With toms, it means you probably notice more side shoots that way too, as you're constantly poking around at the stems!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:19 »
I use the same method as mike001, but it's cut off lengths of stiff electrical wire. (Mike - I think your tomatoes need more light).

I can't fix anything to the roof of my greenhouse so it has to be up canes - same with outside - ebay seem to be clean out of sky hooks!

I can re-use the wire year after year and there's no messing about tying knots or cutting off old ties at the end of the season.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:46 »
Bamboo canes. Then a cross piece along the length of the GH and tie the canes to that. Like DD, I use stiff electrical wire to tie plants to canes. Sometimes velcro. To give support to take the weight of trusses/sets with fruit on, I use lentghs of ladies tights, as they don't cut into the plants.

grendel

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:57 »
I stick a cane in next to each plant and loosley tie off with some stretchy plastic tube like green tie stuff as it will stretch a bit (was sold as garden tie).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Stree

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 12:24 »
Reason I ask is because like some here I have used wire ties or twine, but recently learned that these can give trouble.
If there is no flexibility it can damage the tissue as the plant grows, or if it is too tight it will cut in.
Twine has a very small surface area and is rough and can give the same problems.
Now, I am not saying  that these issues are inevitable, just that they can be the cause of issues that might not immediately be attributed to the support material choice. I think this becomes more important when plants are outside and subject to movement from a wind or even light breeze.
I note Grendel and Reyt tatey use soft.stretchy material, and I know MumofStig uses old tights material.
I also found a tip that if you just put the support material round the stem and cane then as it grows this too can cause the cane to rub against the stem. The solution is to loop the tie in a figure of eight, then there can be no direct contact of stem and cane.
I now use the soft white plastic that holds bundles of canes together, this looks like small white binliners put through a shredder, about 1/4" wide and 20" long, makes 4 ties each and about 5 lengths per 8 foot bundle of 10. Obviously I can make this whenever I wish from cheap white binliners.
I know most people will be quite happy with the way they have always done things and continue to do so, but for those who might be interested I thought this might be worth a mention.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 12:48 »
The wire I use is not tied.

It is thick and quite stiff. It is bent around the plant and cane. It's flexible enough to open up slightly as the stem thickens if need be.

I've used several methods, all perfectly valid, this one I find easy as I don't have to fiddle about tieing knots and that is the main consideration a I have a lot to tie!

I do think we can over complicate what is quite a simple issue.

Stree

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 13:14 »
I quite agree.
But choice is only available when there are options, and I was only highlighting an option.

grendel

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 13:33 »
my mum swears by old tights for tomato ties.
Grendel

xx
Supporting cucumber plants

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 20:20
by Elcie
xx
Tomato plants

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 19:32
by Dantheman
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by Jaye on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:36
by Jaye
xx
When to tip tomato plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 11:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.69 seconds with 36 queries.