Beetroot in long rectangular pots

• 18 Replies

Beetroot queen

Beetroot in long rectangular pots
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:59 »
I have just filled two old pots and wondered if and if not, why not beetroot wouldnt be happy in them. I have sowed a few down the center so they have a good six inches in depth of compost.

Anyway they are in so if its a rubbish idea all i can say is opps  ::)

Just wanted to use the pots up rather than freecycle them or tip them.  :blush:

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
Re: Beetroot in long rectangular pots
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 14:08 »
I've grown beetroot in any old container over the years and they have all done fine, just have to keep an eye on watering and not let them dry out and they will be ok  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 14:20 »
Watwring not a problem as they are at home and my secret weapon for watering is florence  :blink: she loves watering. They may well drown first  :lol:

Thanks

Jackypam

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 14:41 »
 BQ, what do you do with all that beetroot?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 14:51 »
BQ, what do you do with all that beetroot?

Well we eat a lot but i chutney any left over. I am addicted to the stuff always have been, my first beetroot sandwich was before my second birthday, and i eat at least one sandwich a day i love it  :D

landgirl28

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 16:27 »
I've never had any success with beetroots in pots  :( Even when I've sown them in really deep pots. Get lots of lovely leaves but no yummy globe under them!

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37 »
i have had success, thats hopw i first started out growing beetroot so wish u all success

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39 »
I've never had any success with beetroots in pots  :( Even when I've sown them in really deep pots. Get lots of lovely leaves but no yummy globe under them!

I have heard severwl people say this lately, do you pull them too soon. I cant understand why people struggle with beets. Mind you i cant grow raddish  ::) i did twice i think it was at the start but since then i cant get them right. Its obviously duff seeds  :lol:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 18:15 »
Before I got my plot I grew on my flat roof in all sorts of pots. I grew beetroot every year and was successful every time. A bit of manure, chicken pellets and general fertilizer mixed into the old dead compost mix each year and away we would go each year.. Nothing special was done. Pots were no deeper than 4-7".
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 20:01 »
Hi BQ,
I hope you don't mind me posting a question on your thread - it is beetroot related!  :)

I have sown some beetroot seeds in pots that I want to transfer to the allotment.
They each have 2 leaves at the mo.  Should I wait until more leaves are formed and they are bigger or should I transfer them now? 
Many thanks.
LL xx

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 20:04 »
Hi BQ,
I hope you don't mind me posting a question on your thread - it is beetroot related!  :)

I have sown some beetroot seeds in pots that I want to transfer to the allotment.
They each have 2 leaves at the mo.  Should I wait until more leaves are formed and they are bigger or should I transfer them now? 
Many thanks.
LL xx

People do transplant but i have never got on with it, is the pot big enough to grow them in. I would probably wait for the leaves to be a bit bigger but i dont know 100% as i have always sown direct.

Lincs Lottie

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 20:10 »
No the pot isn't big enough.
It's the first time I've sown beetroot and I have sown some direct in the plot too.  I just thought I would try both ways to see which is the most successful.  That said, a bird pulled out several seedlings yesterday.  :mad:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 20:14 »
No the pot isn't big enough.
It's the first time I've sown beetroot and I have sown some direct in the plot too.  I just thought I would try both ways to see which is the most successful.  That said, a bird pulled out several seedlings yesterday.  :mad:

I net mine for a fair while otherwise i end up with a bed of red stalks  ::) they should transplant as people do do it that way om here. I remember someone saying they look limp for a few days but soon pull back

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 21:14 »
They will be ok if they have a root system that holds the soil together when you tip the module out. I'v just done mine with a few leaves and a few roots.. all taken no probs. 

bravemurphy

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 21:34 »
I love beetroot but when I was about 4 I ate a whole jar ( no one knew) and was rushed to the hospital under going loads of tests only for my mother to be asked (" Has your son eaten a lot of beetroot lately") she turned to me and I nodded  :)

It is a bit worrying when you go to the loo and it is red  ;)

xx
Beetroot in paper pots

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 22:18
by whippersnapper
xx
Beetroot - how long will it stay in the ground

Started by rustygman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 13:31
by kentishlad
xx
very long sprouts on seeds pots

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 20:26
by loubylou29
xx
cant find rain diverter for rectangular drain

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 23:16
by pookey

Page created in 0.993 seconds with 36 queries.