Asparagus - Whats happening to it

• 6 Replies

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
Asparagus - Whats happening to it
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:29 »
My asparagus is into its second year,  did not touch it first year.  Was told only to take the odd one this year bit when I looked, they look like they are try to turn into a little tree lol

Any suggestions on what is happening?  (Pic Attached)

Cheers

AL
rsz_img_2392[1].jpg
Happiness is trying something new even if it doesnt work.

http://gardenplanner.suttons.co.uk/garden-plan.aspx?p=352012

Beetroot queen

Re: Asparagus - Whats happening to it
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:45 »
It's normal you have to be quick with asparagus and pick almost as soon as they are up. They don't take long, if you leave them they grow into ferns  ;)

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:53 »
Probably best to let it grow again this year too, as they still look a little small and spindly.....

Like Mine!

The fern is meant to be left to grow until late october/november when it starts to brown, and them you can cut it down....

This fern will then put energy in to the crown for the next year, making bigger and stronger spears.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 14:19 »
BQ and Wizzy - thanks for the advice.

They are very fine so did not try to take any then it went fern like.  I did not cut it back last year, could that have added to my problems?

ta muchly

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 14:22 »
I never need to cut the dry ferns back as mr badger always beats me to it.  ::)

At least he's stopped digging the crowns out this year. ( touch wood)

I have one sending off very thick stems and then very thin all from the same crown so not sure what is going on with it. I am still not sold on the taste and may have to research soups  :wacko:

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 14:41 »
The plants look normal but very small for their second year. It could be lack of space as you have two growing and competing in a small container. They like to spread their roots. I would remove one and leave the other until next year......and feed it well.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 15:15 »
I agree with LF - for long term growing, the bag is simply too small for the asparagus roots. They become massive clumps, one of which will easily fill that bag and then some. If possible, and soon as possible, get them into the ground where they can spread. 18 - 24" apart is a reasonable spacing.

Asparagus also needs some yearly feeding to put on growth just like  a child, so a light yearly spring feed of your preferred feed will help. Asparagus prefers its soil a bit to the sweet/alkaline side as well.

As for those ferns, it's the natural way the plant feeds itself and as BQ says, you gotta be quick!  :D This year I'd just noticed mine were up but it rained for a few days and when I went to cut them, they were already 3 ft tall  :( I've had to leave them because it's too late now. I never cut my ferns back in fall, I leave them to finish at their own time and then self-mulch for winter. The birds will eat the seeds produced and sometimes new seeds will germinate for me to produce more plants that I can then move where needed.

xx
Help - Whats happening to my Potatoes

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 15:34
by arugula
xx
whats happening to my toms?

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 17:35
by lochnesslass
xx
Potatoes - whats happening please?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 06:53
by barney rubble
xx
Whats happening to my apple trees?>

Started by thedadtony on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 13:10
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.959 seconds with 29 queries.