My rat solution.

• 27 Replies

Foxy

My rat solution.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 21:56 »
looks very interesting Country Bill, particulary as it could theorectically be left where the birds run as a preventative with no risk of trapping non target animals

Bodger

My rat solution.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 22:31 »
A Fenn trap is just as effective and a fraction of the price.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
My rat solution.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49 »
I bought a rat trap last month called the big cheese rat trap. It works similar to the old spring mouse trap but without having to fiddle about setting it and they can be messy when somthings been caught in it.
Its like a claw and you set it by simply clicks into place as there is a quick click mechanism.
One there is somthing caught it is easily released by opening the claw with the mechanism at the other end, so no messing about with squashed rats!
I found this as an example take a look i paid 3.99 for mine from the range. They are strong and reliable and will save you money on poison which causes other problems.
www.pestless.co.uk/.../3/1/traps-and-poisons

lucyeff

My rat solution.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 17:25 »
The Nooski looks interesting - the Killgerm website is selling them for £7.95 plus p&p but they seem to be based in Ossett just oop t'road from me so I'm waiting for a reply to see if they have a shop to save a few quid. They're a bit dearer on ebay! Think they seem cheapest at Killgerm?

They seem an ideal solution (if they work!), but not heard anything from anyone who has actually tried them. As we have 2 kids under 3, poison is out of the question and I hate having to deal with squashed things in traps. I haven't seen any rats (we have field mice about as we back onto fields) but I wouldn't be surprised as I'm not as careful with the chooks grub as I promised I would be.. :oops:

There has been a couple of large holes in the field just over our garden wall looking suspiciously like rat holes so I'd rather deal with it now just in case before the miserable * next door comes round complaining (worst scenario as my mostly calm and lovely husband has been itching to knock him flat for ages... :shock: They don't get on too well..long story, as usual)

Foxy

My rat solution.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 19:12 »
I have got a similar trap to the Big Cheese one. Haven't caught anything yet-the rats actually buried it- :oops:  will try a different bait. Am waiting on the rat poison -I think its called "Iradirat"only acts specifically on the rats digestive system- so not harmful to any other animals. Going to wrap in clingfilm and just pop down their tunnels. also have some old plastic piping we are going to use and stick it alongside the henhouse.
OH still waits patiently by the window with his airrifle though :lol: Anyone got any advice on poisons?

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
My rat solution.
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 20:30 »
Peanut butter is meant to be the best bait and i would argee with that.
There is an organic method of making poison with flour, sugar and baking powder.
When they eat it it releases gas which rats and other small animals cant get rid of so they die basicly.
Some people wouldnt like to do this as some people wouldnt like to know they suffered but manufactured poisons arnt pleasant. I havent tried this way but ive heard i works well.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
My rat solution.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:23 »
I think I've got rats in my compost heap at home. I put raw fruit and veg in it and I've noticed some dropping type things about 1cm long but they're brown and soft, not the hard pellets you get with mice and rabbits so I'm not sure!

Selkie

My rat solution.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 12:23 »
That sounds very much like rat pooh

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
My rat solution.
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 13:53 »
I've put poison down yesterday but none seemed to have gone today perhaps they don't want it with all the fruit and veg that 's in there. I'll try storing it in a bin bag in an old bin until they're gone.

Selkie

My rat solution.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 15:02 »
Noah, rats are very wary of new things in their surroundings so it might take them a while before they take your poison.

westie

• Experienced Member
rats, grrr
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 22:48 »
we've had loads of problems with rats at the allotment. They like our compost too much and my husband puts bate down on a regular basis. We don't have a compost heap at home now purely and simply because the rats set up home in it and our neighbours were none too happy (they were as much to blame as us though!).
We read the thread about the homemade poison - made us roar with laughter and will be trying it out.I've no pity for the critters who eat my veges before I can!  :evil:

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
My rat solution.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 17:19 »
I bought a big cheese trap last week, loaded it with sultanas and got a fat juicy rat in it the next day - he/she had been seen in the daytime at the bird table and swimming in my frog pond.  It was easy to dispose of the rat without having to touch it and left the trap clean and ready to be re-set.  The only place I have used it is in the greenhouse next to the chickens because I couldn't stand the thought of a cat getting caught in it and didn't want to use poison either.

Foxy

My rat solution.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 21:52 »
I haven't caught anything so far in my traps! despite the peanut butter :twisted: Oddly haven't seen any evidence of them either - could they have moved out or is that wishful thinking ? have removed every possible scrap of food:oops:

xx
red mite solution

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 09:26
by joyfull
xx
Cleaning Solution

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 20:45
by chickenlicken
xx
Possible red mite solution

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 22:31
by BarnBrian
xx
Possible soft egg solution

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:13
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 28 queries.