Possible red mite solution

• 35 Replies

BarnBrian

Possible red mite solution
« on: August 04, 2009, 14:27 »
I use a cheap steam cleaner that I got from a charity shop, I'm assuming that the steam will actually kill the eggs as well as mites. While the coop is still damp I chuck in a few handfulls of Diatom and then close up all bar the smallest door and then briefly attack it with the leaf blower. I believe that gets it to spread just about everywhere.
I've only just started to use this method so I'll update if it's really successfull.

Brian
There's more to life than increasing its speed.

hillfooter

Re: Possible red mite solution
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:52 »
That sounds a very ingenious idea and I've no reason to think it won't work.  I've a friend who uses a steam cleaner for this purpose and swears by it.  I use a power sprayer and I also use a diatom slurry to  paint on the perches and vertical cracks where you can't get the powder to stick though I scatter the powder on the floor and nestboxes.  If your method achieves the same result for less effort that's a step in the right direction.  Keep me posted.  Thanks for sharing this.
Regards
Truth through science.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51 »
The problem is BarnBrian they will come back even if you steam clean.

I have filled all the cracks and then sprayed the coop with milbenx. It has a residue effect so if they come back they are not around for long.

http://www.schopf-hygiene.com/en/schopf-hygiene-neubeuern/produkte/schaedlingsbekaempfung/kriechendes-ungeziefer/milbenex.html
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54 »

Hi Roughlee.  The idea with the diatom powder is that it stops the red mite recolonising the house by creating a very abrasive and dehydrating environment for them so that's a residual effect too.  The treatment that BarnBrain suggests isn't new but the way of distributing the powders and getting it to stick is novel and more to the point labour saving.  My main concern would be that you can get enough powder into all the cooks and crannies for it to be effective.  I've heard of people who paint on a slurry as I am cuurently trialing and this is effective on perches but it's tedious to do as is blocking up cracks.  After a very heavy infestation in one house I've gone through a repeatered programme of deep clean using a power sprayer and disinfectants (Jeyes, deosect and houshold and a strong detergent) and spot treated clusters in betweenn so i'm reasonably confident the original infestation is beat.  I'm now back to my regular two weekly clean and using Diatom painted on the perches and into all the corners they have in the past colonised and sprinkle on the floor.  Spot checks to date seem good and i'm about to do my first clean out.  if i find no colonies things will be looking good for Diatom as a preventative.  If it works great it's not expensive in bulk, pleasant to use and non toxic so fingers crossed.  If BarnBrains distribution method works and it could be house dependant then at last I will have found an effective treatment regime since the demise of Derris which isn't too labour intensive.

What's Milbenx I haven't heard of this?
Lest beat em!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58 »
Check out the link I have posted.

BarnBrian

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:47 »
As I thought, the little b......s have not returned as yet, no signs of them whatsoever. This is definitely going to be my weekly treatment from now on.

:D :D :D
Brian

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:59 »
I have quite a few wooden poultry sheds and have been using milbenex for around 3 years and have never had a mite problem -only with a brand new broody house I forgot to treat. It is a strong chemical and actually designed for commercial use, so tbh if you have just one small house, diatom and poultry shield, or steam cleaning if thats works (thanks for the tip!) should be enough. If you have a heavy infestation and are really struggling I can't recommend it enough. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:17 »
I'll have to track down some Milbenex and try that.  I've tried Deosect which is an insecticide licenced for horses (my wife's province) which can be used on the birds.  My understanding is that it is also licensed for poultry use too though the companies who sell it on the web won't supply unless it's for horses.  We used it on the chx houses but had to stop this practise as the chemical fumes were not nice in the enclosed confines and it was very expensive at over £30 per 250ml (dilute 50:1 though).

I've cleaned my houses out yesterday - got soaked in the process- and I'm glad to say it's looking good for Diatom.  Didn't find any mite colonies though an inspection in the night by torch light did reveal the odd few but there's no where near the numbers before I did the deep clean and Diatom slurry paint job.  Might try the blower distribution method next time after my trial with the paints over.  It's looking good but then one swallow doesn't make a spring and I'd like to see an extended mite free period before claiming victory.

Regards

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:37 »
You can purchase Milbenex from the below company.  No on-line shop, you have to do it the long way by phoning them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

http://www.bowdenandknights.com/s26/Product-List.html

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 17:12 »
You can get Diatom in a 'puffer' bottle, and direct it very accurately in cracks, gaps etc.  It just seems to stick to the surface.  I haven't had to make a slurry.

Not the most economical method of buying Diatom, but  hoping I can refil the 'puffer' from a larger tub.

Sparkle

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 20:20 »
hey flower power - so there is a puffer bottle - thank goodness! - what make is the puffer?

I found our diatom shaker one of the mst frustrating things I have ever done - our girls are so feisty (after years of being in a very free range unit and no human contact) that it was a 2 person job to hold and powder them - especially as the powder kept blocking up -and very stressfull for all - at least I know I have got so much diatom powder on me that I know I am not allergic to it and i wont get lice!!

mumsy

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 21:41 »
I put the diatom in a empty washing up liquid bottle............easy ;)

archiesgems

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 21:49 »
treat your hen house with a silicone spray, i used the type that you get for waterproofing tents, this seals all the little cracks up, i also used a mix of exterior gloss varnish mixed with fine sawdust and used this to fill in the gaps between the perche's. and up to now (30 yrs) i have never had any red mites,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now i've said that i will get them  :blink:

Sparkle

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 22:13 »
Great tips - cheers!

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 22:22 »
Hi, our chicken guy told us that if you get the diatom powder wet then it doesn't work. He warned us about using sprays and powder at the same time. Nic.

xx
red mite solution

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 09:26
by joyfull
xx
Red stop solution . mite control . is it any good ???

Started by chicken henry on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 19:19
by ehs284
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
My rat solution.

Started by Grasshopper on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 21:52
by Foxy

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.