Advice on Broody Call Duck

• 4 Replies

Prod

Advice on Broody Call Duck
« on: May 13, 2013, 19:53 »
I have 5 call ducks, a pair of Silver, a pair of Chocolate Bibbed and a lonely white male. They all live in the same enclosure and share two coops, the silvers in one and the other 3 in the other coop.  The female chocolate, Connie, has gone broody and has been in the coop for 2 days. She has plucked some of her feathers and has made a lovely nest with about 9 or 10 eggs, as far as I can see. She is normally very tame and comes to me to be picked up  but now she is a tad aggressive if I put my hand in the box and gently nips me. Anyway my questions are:  should I let her nest alone at night or is it all right to let the other 2 in as usual (it is quite a big coop about 1 cubic sqm)   Also if and when any of the eggs hatch should I leave them with her and let nature take it's course or will I need to get a brooder box???  Thanks in advance. :blink:

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Advice on Broody Call Duck
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 22:04 »
Call ducks have a reasonable reputation as broodies but is always better if they can me left to brood alone. It is generally very hard to move a broody duck though as they tend to stick with the place they have picked even if you move the eggs. Once they have hatched it is a different matter and they seem to be happy to go as long as the ducklings are with them.
The ducklings are mostly vulnerable to attack and this can be from rats, covids such as magpies and crows but can also be attacked but other ducks, particularly drakes. Mum will keep them warm and teach them the ropes but they are pretty hopeless about protecting them from attack (although one of mine attacked me enough to leave bruises when I picked up one of her duckling!).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59 »
Thanks...so if they hatch  do I just leave them with mother  or do I need to put them in the brooder?? Also would it help if I put the two females together, separated from the males or will she just be better entirely on her own??
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 13:54 by Prod »

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:26 »
She will be better on her own. Can you move the others elsewhere? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24 »
Well I have a small field that the chickens free range on & I did let the ducks free range too but because they are small, the silver pair can get through anything, and although the field is fenced and on top of that I have barrier netting, they kept getting through into a my neighbour's garden and heading for the pond!!!  So I built a 30sqm enclosure to put them all in with the 2 coops.  I could try and section off the coop she is in but that is the largest & I don't thinking having 3 drakes and a female in the other small arc will work.......  Im going to have to think about this as I don't want to move her nest in case she abandons it!!

xx
does anyone know about hatching call duck eggs........

Started by inchhighfly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 11:00
by Pinti
xx
Call duck ducklings newbie

Started by Catten80 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 11:23
by Mum2mj
xx
Call Duck Eggs & Hatching

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 18:48
by ANHBUC
xx
Khaki campbell bullying call duck

Started by julieduck on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 13:13
by julieduck

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 28 queries.