What makes bantams claws different from normal LF chickens?

• 8 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
I have hatched some bantam chicks and have noticed they have an extra claw at the back of their leg that other chickens dont tend to have. So what makes them like this?

Also how can you sex bantam or silkie chickens when they dont have the bright red comb and wattles im used to seeing?

Thanks for any advice :)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
I think silkies are notoriously difficult to sex until they are POL? There can be a bit of a ruffle round the neck and head flicking which might suggest you have a cockerel.

We had a "hen" who in 10 days grew wattles, tail feathers and a comb and started to crow - we were away on holiday at the time so a rapid name change for him was needed when we got back!  :D

Silkies also have an extra toe which is peculiar to the breed.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
I was given the eggs I hatched so dont know much about them but some have come out yellow and some black. The yellow feathered ones have pink or white skin and the black feathered ones have greyish or black skin. Its only the black skinned chicks that have the extra toe on the back of thier leg. The black ones are looking like they'll be difficult to sex. Some are developing a pinkish comb whereas others arent so im wondering if thats a way of telling. They are just over 2 weeks old at the most so its still difficult to tell but my other large fowl chicks I have been sexing at 3-4weeks old then seperating them for 3 weeks more just to be sure before culling.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
Sounds like your black ones are silkies particularly as they have grey/black skin and the extra toe.  Their (walnut like) comb and wattles would tend to be a black/purple colour but I don't think would be apparent in a chick (although I must admit that I have no experience of a male silkie chick under around 16 weeks - I tend to buy mine at POL). 

You might be lucky and there are signs of what sex they are at an earlier stage.  I don't know if a breeder of silkies might be able to help you out?

splash101

If you google "sexing your silkies pictures and tips" there is some info on there. You may have to wait until they are a bit older.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Thanks for the replies

Here are some of the links I found.

LINK1

LINK2

LINK3

Looks like I have to wait 8 weeks minimum
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:23 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Shortened the links for you nuzuki.   ;)

Look like you will have your work cut out even after 8 weeks!   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
Interesting links! My "hen" was 16-18 weeks old when "she" became a "he".  She was a bit butch as a hen (big feet!) but there again I had another cockerel (Napoleon) who was smaller than the hens.  That's part of the joy of owning silkies!!  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
My smallest of 4 young bantams has just started to crow and show the ladies some affection.   ::)  The other 3 are still quiet and more interested in play fighting.

xx
Ex-batts versus 'normal' chickens

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 09:59
by Prod
xx
bantams and chickens

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 09:26
by ANHBUC
xx
bantams & chickens

Started by skuzzle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 17:28
by Vember
xx
Chickens & bantams together?

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 08:02
by frenchliving

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 36 queries.