mist spraying broody hen's eggs

• 12 Replies

bantam novice

mist spraying broody hen's eggs
« on: May 08, 2013, 21:36 »
Hello there all,
I've not been on here for a while so good to be back  :)
I have a quick question.  I have a broody hen on seven sabelpoot eggs that have all candled as viable.  She has rubbed her chest raw and there are blood smears on the eggs.   Her eggs are due to hatch on Saturday.  My aunt feels that we should spray the eggs for extra humidity.  My instinct is to leave her.  I was also wondering about spraying purple spray on her chest.  What do you think?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: mist spraying broody hen's eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 21:50 »
I've never used a broody before, but never heard of spraying the eggs.  Birds have been hatching eggs for thousands of years unaided.

As to the purple spray, I suppose you could try it, but as egg shells are porous, it may affect the developing chicks?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13 »
I have only ever used broodies and never had to spray them. The broodies body warmth provides the ideal micro climate for the eggs to hatch.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14 »
Welcome back bantam novice.  Never had that problem with my broodies but I would go with leaving well alone.  Could it be the bedding that has caused the bleeding?  Also check broody for mites/lice, if she has something irritating her that could be the cause.  A sprinkling of diatom in the nesting material may help.

If you are worried about the broody getting an infection try applying a tiny amount of cornflour to the sores.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23 »
Broodies pluck the feathers out of their chests to provide humidity. Agree with you and the others to leave well alone. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 13:47 »
Thanks guys!
I am so grateful for your responses.  I do feel that leaving mother to herself is the right option.  The eggs have started pipping now so I'll just sit on my hands and let nature take its course...however tempiting to peek!  That is really the hardest pert.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:44 »
Sounds good :)

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 14:21 »
Two hatched and four pipping!  I will post pics when I can take a photo but don't want to disturb mother broody just yet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 15:56 »
That's good news, look forward to seeing the photos.   :D

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 22:09 »
Well we have four sabelpoot chicks and a nervous mum.  Two hatched out but mother was moving around a fair amount.  When I looked in there were two on the bedding and I thought they were dead.  When I picked them up they felt cold but were moving so I popped them in the inccy on a lower temperature but warm enough for brooding. 

I thought I had lost them both but the next day one was fluffed and standing though the other was on its side and seemed unable to get onto its' feet though it was moving quite strongly.  When I looked closely the head seemed tilted and one eye lower than the other.  It looked almost as if it had lost the use of one side.  I dipped their beaks in water laced with honey and put some chick crumbs in. 

By this morning both were on their feet.  Although Igor(ina) was still tilting a little to one side s/he was pecking at chick crumbs and drinking and both chicks seemed well enough to try and put back with mother and her two other chicks. 

I checked on them just before shutting them up for the night and mother seemed to be settled with all four chicks under her.

I don't want to unsettle mother until she feels ready to lead the chicks outside.  I will  take pics in a couple of days.

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 22:55 »
 :ohmy:  It is not always straight forward is it.  Glad you got to the chicks in time.   :D

bantam novice

Re: mist spraying broody hen's eggs - with picture
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 19:43 »
Hello there,
here is a picture of Igor/ina with his/her mum and siblings.  Igor/ina is the chick closest to the camera.
Rusty_and_chicks_May_13 resized.jpg
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 20:46 by bantam novice »

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 21:12 »
They look as if they are doing really well.   ;)

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 29 queries.