Do I have duff runner bean seeds

• 11 Replies

Beetroot queen

Do I have duff runner bean seeds
« on: May 10, 2013, 13:02 »
My first batch failed so I changed compost and now my second batch is on day 6 and no sign of life either. Should I ditch the seeds. They are last years pack. Or should I give a few more days. They are in the cold frame  :wacko:

ryetek

Re: Do I have duff runner bean seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 13:04 »
Give them a few more days. Mine were sown on the 27th April and are just coming through now. They're also in a cold frame.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 13:06 by ryetek »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 13:11 »
Give them a few more days. Mine were sown on the 27th April and are just coming through now. They're also in a cold frame.

Brilliant will wait and see, didn't want to sow more and end up with millions of them, there is such a thing as too many runner beans  :mellow: I am not a huge fan but everyone else loves them

ryetek

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 13:14 »
You could always have a root through the compost in one of the pots and see if the seed has germinated if you are worried that you may have duff seed.

I should also point out that my seed packet was opened and used last year too so it's pretty much the same circumstances.  :)

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 13:16 »
Mine took 3 weeks outside, and about 5 days inside.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 13:20 »
Are they white or purple seeds?

Apparently some people (including me) sometimes find the white ones a bit less reliable (although the flowers are said to set better in hot weather.)

Mine are saved "White Lady" and because of that I soaked them for 24 hours, then chitted in a sandwich box on a piece of barely damp kitchen paper (they may well rot if they are wetted more than that.)

80% germinated within 3 days (tiny white roots appearing) and are now potted up in paper pots - you may like to try the same to at least be sure they are viable.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 13:31 »
You could always take a couple and stick them in a tub with some damp kitchen paper and see if they germinate. Stick it on a north facing windowsill so it doesn't cook and if they're viable they'll show some life in only a couple of days.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 14:18 »
Purple seeds called enorma I think, may bring one tray inside and have a poke in another see what is going on

seaside

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 14:39 »
I've used runner seeds 3 years old with no problems. My home brew runners have just surfaced after 10 days, my borlottis after 12, and that was in a reasonably warm greenhouse fortnight.
I was never a fan of the rather large runners but then I was introduced to the idea of podding the beans like broad beans. Foe some reason I had never done it.
I was hooked, they're fantastic cooked in stews.
So the young stringless beans get harvested and eaten whole nice and early on a regular basis and then I leave the remainder to be podded, blanched and frozen much like broad beans for use well into the new year.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 14:41 by seaside »

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 14:46 »
You could always take a couple and stick them in a tub with some damp kitchen paper and see if they germinate. Stick it on a north facing windowsill so it doesn't cook and if they're viable they'll show some life in only a couple of days.

Nice warm airing cupboard would be better/quicker

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 14:48 »

Nice warm airing cupboard would be better/quicker

Haha hubby just replied " huh have they seen our airing cupboard "  ::) always raining on the parade mr bq
Thanks peeps will let you know

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 20:49 »
I have had 50% growth on my beans so far, a little root through the compost has found some firm seeds getting bigger and some soft seeds doing nothing so I will replant this weekend.  For me I always seem to drown a couple of seeds every year - then I plant extra to compensate and end with a bean mountain!  ::) ::)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

xx
runner bean seeds

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 09:14
by mumofstig
xx
Runner bean seeds

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 09:10
by Remy
xx
Runner bean seeds

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 14:28
by JayG
xx
Runner bean seeds

Started by dookie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 19:09
by Yabba

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 37 queries.