Pipping - how long is ok?

• 6 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Pipping - how long is ok?
« on: May 07, 2013, 19:28 »
As you will have gathered I'm hatching for the first time  :unsure:.  I woke up this morning (7am) to find one of our eggs had pipped (day 20) shell missing but no big whole in membrane just a slit, where bits of feather and the occasional beak can pop in and out.  Well he's been active on and off all day, chirping away inside but not made any progress on the shell is this ok?  Humidity is set around 55% (after all of googling 55% seemed the safer opition, figures ranged from don't bother adding water to 86% most confusing), but I'm worried the membrane will dry out its white, with a very slight tea staining colour.  He's still chirping and you can see the membrane 'breathing'. 
Is it too early to worry , three more have cracked their shells (no actual whole yet) in the last two hours.
I'm going to go have a bath, while waiting for replies, better than trying to sit on my hands :D
thank you
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Pipping - how long is ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 20:07 »
The chick can get its beak out to breath which is the main thing.  They usually chip all the way round and the shell falls in half.  Best to try and leave well alone as you don't want to lose the others that have pipped.  There is some information on the poultry club website which you can read LINK
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 20:24 »
thank you off to read.  Another had pipped whilst i was in the bath!

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 20:37 »
Ok so that one says 80% ! Should i up it?  Why can't any one seem to agree on this point, most odd

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 20:54 »
I only use a broody so can't advise you on that but from what I have read on other posts it does sound high.  Hopefully another member who uses an incubator will give you more advice.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 23:33 »
one of the other chicks has now hatched, but the first to pip is still just sat there in his egg,

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53 »
It is safer at this stage not to open the incubator as you will endanger sll the others. Helping chicks out of shells is usually doomed to failure anyway. It is hard but you do need to sit on your hands. Good luck it will be worth it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Eggs pipping!

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 19:01
by JaK
xx
Help - no sign of pipping yet

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 15, 2015, 09:01
by Sassy
xx
Pipping to hatching time?

Started by gillian62 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 20:21
by Nails
xx
Time scale from pipping to hatching

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 22:17
by Vonnie

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 36 queries.