Chicks eating bedding & a sand question

• 6 Replies

Mum2mj

Chicks eating bedding & a sand question
« on: May 05, 2013, 18:12 »
Hi everyone I've 2 little cream legbar chicks 2 weeks old now.  They eat the wood shavings & shredded paper that I've tried to use for bedding. Obviously this isn't great - do they learn eventually? & which is the lesser of the two evils? Also I was thinking of introducing childrens play sand in a small tray for dust baths.  Would this be okay do you think? Thanks in advance  :)

Sassy

Re: Chicks eating bedding & a sand question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17 »
Its usually best ot start them on kitchen roll over newspaper until they have established eating their chick crumb then move onto wood shavings. I would try this now for about a week and then try the shavings again. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51 »
They don't learn, as 2 of my hens (1 bantam and 1 large fowl) died due to blocking their gizzard with bedding.  I used to use it in the run and they would peck about at it, or so I thought.   :(  I only use is in their nest box now.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 14:27 »
Its usually best ot start them on kitchen roll over newspaper until they have established eating their chick crumb then move onto wood shavings. I would try this now for about a week and then try the shavings again. :)

Hi I was doing that and have only recently added the sawdust. I think I'll take it out again & go for the kitchen roll for a bit longer  *sigh*

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 14:30 »
They don't learn, as 2 of my hens (1 bantam and 1 large fowl) died due to blocking their gizzard with bedding.  I used to use it in the run and they would peck about at it, or so I thought.   :(  I only use is in their nest box now.

Oh that's a shame. I don't currently have grit for them, should I grind up some of the older chicken grit as they've eaten bedding already? Also can I use sand? '

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 18:00 »
You can get budgie grit which would be fine.

I have used kiln dried sand for my hens and quail which I think is the same as the play sand so it should be ok.  They will of course eat some of it but it shouldn't have any chemicals in.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58 »
Hi I was doing that and have only recently added the sawdust. I think I'll take it out again & go for the kitchen roll for a bit longer  *sigh*

Are you using shavings or sawdust. Sawdust is not good and it too dusty :)

xx
Eating sand

Started by RubyR3d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2017, 06:24
by New shoot
xx
eating bedding!

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 20:08
by orchardlady
xx
Ducklings eating bedding!

Started by kat2290 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 11:04
by kat2290
xx
bedding under chicks

Started by indigo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 19:25
by indigo

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 30 queries.