Help - no sign of pipping yet

• 11 Replies

Helenaj

Help - no sign of pipping yet
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:19 »
Hi Folks

As per my other post regarding my incubator problems, well we've not heard anything since the initial cheep and I can't stand by any longer. Day 21 was Friday just gone and I have given them an extra day because I know that sometimes a powerdown can put them off by a day, but there is nothing moving in my incubator. I have very gently candled the eggs but cannot see in them because the shell is so dense. I have even gently tapped the eggs but heard nothing. What do you suggest - is it worth doing the float test?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Help - no sign of pipping yet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:48 »
If it was us...we would leave them a couple of days, give them every chance. It has happened to us but it was after repeated power cuts. We have had success after one or two cuts but we are here so it was just a case of moving the incubator under a duvet. We get many power cuts in the wet season, May/June

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:10 »
Have you hatched that breed before and has it definitely been 21 days? Also have you hatched birds from the parents before? I know you have the power cut issue but it is amazing how may other factors can affect hatching.

As long as you are not getting any smells or leakiness I would personally give them around 26 days before deciding its their lot.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 16:39 »
Thanks for the advice - I'll hang on in a little longer. I'm sure of my dates - I've hatched before, it's just the power cut that has caused the issues. As for fertility, I cannot see into the shell to check for development, but they do feel heavier than an "empty" egg.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:33 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you (if I have)  :)

The reason I said about breed and parentage is because I have had a lot of variance between batches of eggs. Three batches of Norfolkgreys I hatched (different) parentage all gave very different results. All around 24-25 days but one batch of birds were so weak they didn't make 24 hours (other eggs from the same seller were poor and I suspect old and related birds) the other two batches did well. However, I have hatched offspring in 20 days. I have read different sources with some saying 21 days some saying 25. That is all. Sorry again  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you (if I have)  :)

The reason I said about breed and parentage is because I have had a lot of variance between batches of eggs. Three batches of Norfolkgreys I hatched (different) parentage all gave very different results. All around 24-25 days but one batch of birds were so weak they didn't make 24 hours (other eggs from the same seller were poor and I suspect old and related birds) the other two batches did well. However, I have hatched offspring in 20 days. I have read different sources with some saying 21 days some saying 25. That is all. Sorry again  :)

Norfolkgrey - don't worry, you certainly haven't offended me. I apologise for sounding a little short in my earlier message - I'm just a little stressed over this! I have hatched this breed before with good results, but I'm thinking now that something has gone wrong somewhere and it's not all down to the powercut.

I resorted to a float test this morning and all of the eggs appear good, so I will leave them another day and then decide what to do.

Good news on the other incubator that was affected by the powercut. They are due to hatch tomorrow into Thursday and I don't think I've ever seen such a lively batch of eggs! They look as though they are disco dancing and if you whistle at them they go beserk! So some good news at least!

pekinpete

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 16:10 »
don't know if this will help but if i've had eggs go over time i've put them in a bowl of warm water not hot and if alive you should see movement i only keep them in there for a few seconds

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 09:37 »
don't know if this will help but if i've had eggs go over time i've put them in a bowl of warm water not hot and if alive you should see movement i only keep them in there for a few seconds

Hi, I did the float test yesterday and nothing, so decided to take the plunge today and pipped the eggs - everyone dead and dead for a while. What a horrible sight.

Better news though - my other incubator has a newly hatched chick (last 10 minutes) and two more have pipped so there is some positive news at least, although I could have done without the earlier task on my birthday.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 15:09 »
Oh no, sorry to hear that! Yay for the successful ones and Happy Birthday  :ohmy: :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 17:07 »
Not easy, this incubating lark. This happened to us with our first lot, we were so excited then felt really guilty when they died so late.

Looking forward to pics of the new babies though, some compensation.

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 19:43 »
Thanks all. Three healthy little chicks and two still waiting, although I did have my doubts on these two when I candled, so I will wait and see.

Thanks for all of the best wishes and especially your advice and I'll see if I can upload a photo tomorrow, although it's going to be a difficult call because they are snuggled up under my electric hen.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:01 »
That's good news sorry about the others  :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Eggs pipping!

Started by vanessa.xx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 19:01
by JaK
xx
Pipping - how long is ok?

Started by cammi on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 08:53
by Sassy
xx
Pipping to hatching time?

Started by gillian62 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 20:21
by Nails
xx
Time scale from pipping to hatching

Started by Vonnie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 22:17
by Vonnie

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 28 queries.