Cabbage sowed today question?

• 13 Replies

Beetroot queen

Cabbage sowed today question?
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:36 »
If I sowed some today and don't have room in my cold frame where can I put them, I presume they can't stay outside can they.

simonwatson

Re: Cabbage sowed today question?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:42 »
So long as they're protected from the pigeons when they first emerge they should be fine. Hardy as they come are cabbages.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46 »
I have a killer cat, pigeons don't even do a fly past or they end up invited for dinner.

She's a menace actually she has taken down a seagull in the past, try explaining a dead seagull in your wheelie bin  :ohmy: trouble is she is White and black and the stupid birds should see her coming, if not hear her as we practically have a cow bell strapped to her neck.  :mellow: oh well my cabbage should be safe

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 13:41 »
That cat sounds perfect. My parents had one like that once. The ultimate picture was of my stepfather holding up the 5 foot snake it brought home.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 13:45 »
That cat sounds perfect. My parents had one like that once. The ultimate picture was of my stepfather holding up the 5 foot snake it brought home.
:mad: :mad: :mad: she'll be looking for a new place to stay if she does that.

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 13:46 »
my cabbages are being sown straight in the soil at the plot tomorrow  ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 13:50 »
my cabbages are being sown straight in the soil at the plot tomorrow  ;)

Confession I am not very good with cabbages from seed, I keep trying though.  :blush: I used to buy them as plugs but I saw a pack of 1000 seeds on amazon for 99p. I am hoping for at least a dozen cabbage if nothing else.
I can grow red cabbage just not green, does that make any sense (nope) doesn't to me either

Edit to correct "quote".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 14:00 by JayG »

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 13:58 »

Confession I am not very good with cabbages from seed, I keep trying though.  :blush: I used to buy them as plugs but I saw a pack of 1000 seeds on amazon for 99p. I am hoping for at least a dozen cabbage if nothing else.
I can grow red cabbage just not green, does that make any sense (nope) doesn't to me either

I've noticed that cabbage whites seem to leave the red cabbages alone. This year I'm trying Kalibos, which grows red but cooks to green. I'm going to try leaving the nets off some at home (where there is less chance of pigeon damage because of the dozens of cats that use my garden as a cut through) as an experiment, just to see what happens.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 14:38 »

I've noticed that cabbage whites seem to leave the red cabbages alone. This year I'm trying Kalibos, which grows red but cooks to green. I'm going to try leaving the nets off some at home (where there is less chance of pigeon damage because of the dozens of cats that use my garden as a cut through) as an experiment, just to see what happens.

Keep us posted on that.

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 15:21 »
what spacing do i need to give my cabbage seedlings when i plant them out was thinking of getting them in tomorrow

crh75

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 17:12 »
45cm by the book but as little as 25cm if you want small cabbages.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 17:26 »
I have a killer cat, pigeons don't even do a fly past or they end up invited for dinner.

She's a menace actually she has taken down a seagull in the past, try explaining a dead seagull in your wheelie bin  :ohmy: trouble is she is White and black and the stupid birds should see her coming, if not hear her as we practically have a cow bell strapped to her neck.  :mellow: oh well my cabbage should be safe

My cat used to be like this!  Mine attempted a seagull once.  We had only just moved down to the coast from London where she was used to taking on pigeons. 

I could hear this terrible noise in the garden, and there was my cat with its teeth secured around the seagull's leg!  The seagull was squawking, flapping and pecking at the cat.  Now and again, it would attempt to fly - taking the cat up momentarily up in the air until its weight brought them both back down again.  It brought a whole new meaning to "swinging a cat"!  My tenacious cat held on for what seemed like ages despite my protests!

I so wished I had had a camera with me to film it - it would have gone down a storm on Youtube!  Luckily, the seagull got away when my cat got jaw ache and let go. 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 13:37 »
Could cabbages be grown in a long trough like plant pot??

willp

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 14:58 »
So long as they're protected from the pigeons when they first emerge.

And slugs.

Not seen many around yet as it`s been fairly dry here but they`ll be out the first warmish wet night we have.

I always start mine in 3" pots - they`ll be fine outside.

Will

xx
Sowed today?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:34
by DD.
xx
Cabbage question

Started by GrowHappy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 12:25
by Kristen
xx
cabbage question

Started by babycakes on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 15:59
by Lewjam
xx
A Cabbage Question....

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:41
by Irene

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 28 queries.