All Veg Growers - EU trying to ban heritage seeds!

• 135 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: All Veg Growers - EU trying to ban heritage seeds!
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 16:29 »
I signed the petition too.

I just don't agree with the EU changing things that work fine as they are - it must be going to make them money or they wouldn't bother. ???

My thoughts too...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 16:36 »
If you look at the things they would charge for - it will raise a loads of money.

If you look at all the paperwork the seed companies will have to do - that will cost loads of money.

Inevitable we would have to buy seeds of the varieties that the seed companies want us to buy, which would cost us - you've guessed it  - loads of money!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 16:49 »
... and less popular seeds (eg. heritage seeds) would not have money spent on the paper work because it will not be economical to produce them.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 16:58 »
It's like how a while back the EU wanted farms to replace their sheep labelling system to an expensive electronic one, which did exactly the same thing (dunno where that went). Or to replace our transport freights with the super ones they have over in the continent, despite the fact that our road infrastructure couldn't handle it and would need frequent repair.

The EU seems keen on Europe wide standardisation, were everyone is using the same system European Union wide, regardless of suitability. If that's what this is about, it makes sense they would want to "standardise" the food as well by restricting the use of none registered varieties. Remember these are the "wonky veg cannot be grade A" bureaucrats...

grendel

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 18:01 »
It's like how a while back the EU wanted farms to replace their sheep labelling system to an expensive electronic one, which did exactly the same thing (dunno where that went). Or to replace our transport freights with the super ones they have over in the continent, despite the fact that our road infrastructure couldn't handle it and would need frequent repair.

The EU seems keen on Europe wide standardisation, were everyone is using the same system European Union wide, regardless of suitability. If that's what this is about, it makes sense they would want to "standardise" the food as well by restricting the use of none registered varieties. Remember these are the "wonky veg cannot be grade A" bureaucrats...
thats all right for countries like france and italy that ignore any rules they dont like, but the uk is a stickler for following the rules, give me my wonky veg with flavour any day.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 18:58 »
I had to buy some carrots last week   

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 19:09 »
... and less popular seeds (eg. heritage seeds) would not have money spent on the paper work because it will not be economical to produce them.

...and therefore we lose them forever.
They would be found in heritage libraries only. :( :( :(

Trillium

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 20:31 »
Relative to this petition, if you haven't already, you might want to familiarize yourselfl with Codex Alimentarius HERE and HERE.

In the 2nd link, do check out all the references listed in 'show more'.

Is this specific to North America? Not a chance. Wherever the U.N. has its fingers, and the EU, people behind the scenes are trying to instigate passage of very controlling food rules. In the case of this petition, they're pushing early in the UK before they start pushing in other countries to pass these laws.

If you don't complain and raise a fuss now, you won't like what the future will bring otherwise.

Growster...

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 20:44 »
Emailed Ms Ashton, but am sceptical about her capacity to do anything constructive here.

I reckon, as noted earlier here, we just ignore them, after all, we ignore them on most things like pesticides etc...:0)

I know we won't ever cross the legal line in the sand via John's site, but it won't be long before someone else sorts out the problem, heritage seeds will still be around, and we can get back to normality.

Why don't they start working on stopping bomb-making equipment becoming available...

'Wasters'...(sorry mods - had to be said...:0)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 21:00 »
Relative to this petition, if you haven't already, you might want to familiarize yourselfl with Codex Alimentarius HERE and HERE.

In the 2nd link, do check out all the references listed in 'show more'.

Is this specific to North America? Not a chance. Wherever the U.N. has its fingers, and the EU, people behind the scenes are trying to instigate passage of very controlling food rules. In the case of this petition, they're pushing early in the UK before they start pushing in other countries to pass these laws.

If you don't complain and raise a fuss now, you won't like what the future will bring otherwise.

That was a bit scary! :ohmy:
There is a lot of scary stuff like this on the tinternet - best not get too obsessed with it mind! :unsure:
Like Growster says - just ignore it all and do as we've always done! :tongue2:

Trillium

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 21:01 »
It's not just scary stuff, Devon, it's reality that will sneak up on us as Realseeds is trying to make people aware.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 21:43 »
Honestly, part of the reason I went to this forum was to escape the depressing craziness you often see online  :lol:

The problem with stuff like that is it's entering 'infowars' territory, where they seem to be on perma "the government wants to kill you" mode.

If the government did want to soft kill its own population, there are more efficient and less costly means of doing it than attacking nutrition. That and I cannot expect parents who haven't been brain washed would react too kindly, when they see what their kids are being taught about nutrition.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 22:02 »
not kill us just limit our freedom to choose
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Growster...

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 22:11 »
Don't worry, Greyscales, as most of the posters on these subjects have a rational view, they'll not take much notice of anyone telling them what to do!

Just read between the lines, and keep on asking about carrots and spuds, and forget any political stuff, it's really not interesting to anyone who gardens for real!

I did the same as you, and have learned soooooo much over the past few years - we're the people who understand things here!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 22:19 »
Honestly, part of the reason I went to this forum was to escape the depressing craziness you often see online  :lol:

The problem with stuff like that is it's entering 'infowars' territory, where they seem to be on perma "the government wants to kill you" mode.

If the government did want to soft kill its own population, there are more efficient and less costly means of doing it than attacking nutrition. That and I cannot expect parents who haven't been brain washed would react too kindly, when they see what their kids are being taught about nutrition.

If you read through the posts and the link info, you'll see that these proposals are a threat to old, public domain and heritage varieties. RealSeeds believe that the proposals were put together by a lobbyist and reports that complaints have been made because of that.

I personally don't have a problem with someone profiting from a cross or strain in which they have invested time and money. Government officials rarely have the time or expertise or both to see the unintended consequences of what they are being sold as a right rollicking idea. The EU officials are the same. What we would want to see are exemptions for old, public domain and heritage varieties and for seed swaps not to be somehow outlawed.

xx
Heritage seeds help

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 08:32
by peapod
xx
heritage seeds?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:53
by solway cropper
xx
Heritage Seeds

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:23
by DD.
xx
Heritage seeds

Started by prestongirl82 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2017, 12:34
by seasprout

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 38 queries.