Heritage seeds

• 18 Replies

prestongirl82

Heritage seeds
« on: March 05, 2017, 22:04 »
I've recently had a delivery of Heritage seeds and have just planted them. I'd forgotten what i'd ordered tbh as i'd kept adding them to my basket then clicked to pay!
I've got a good selection- purple podded peas (grew really well last time i tried these), rainbow carrots (never grown carrots before), Saint George runner beans- (again a good plant- loads of ginormous pods), curly kale (yum), purple broad beans, bullseye beetroot, giant sunflower, giant pumpkin, courgettes (yellow and green), radish, turnip and red sweetcorn.
Does anyone else grow Heritage seeds? Can you reccommend any to me?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Heritage seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:34 »
Depends on your definition of 'Heritage'   :unsure:
Did you get your seeds from the HSL (Heritage Seed Library)? It's quite expensive to join that nowadays as you have to be a member of Garden Organic as well.
I've grown some of their tomatoes and some of their peas in the past, some were good and some just didn't work for me/my conditions.

Or were they just old-fashioned, standard varieties, labelled as Heritage by the seed supplier? - I think most of us grow, at least some of those  :D

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 14:54 »
I've bought most of my seeds from a company that only sells 'Heritage' varieties. Thanks to replies on a post I've just made, I've sown 100 Victorian Colossal Climbing peas. They grow up to eight foot so might try wig whams.

I've got some Aquadulce Longpod just poking their heads through and I'm hoping that if they are successful I can save seeds for next year.

If I remember I'll post some pictures, as long as they don't look like frazzled mildewed weeds  :D

newupthetump

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 18:26 »
I've bought from the Real Seed Catalogue again this year. they are mostly "heritage" but are all open pollinated so seeds can be saved for the future. I have Champion of England climbing pea which gets to about 8-10 feet high and Czar runner bean. I grew "Tall Telephone" pea a few years ago and was very pleased with the yield and taste. I also have a sweetcorn from them which they claim managed to ripen in a very wet summer and a beetroot

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:01 »
As a note to those growing really tall peas ... they need a very secure structure or they do blow over in the wind. I have found the growth gets too crowded around the top of wigwams to be able to have enough air movement around the plants or even to pick the pods really.

A tall form of DD's frame, facing short side into the prevailing wind, is good... just keep the pigeons off!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40 »
The Heritage seed I grow are purely from the HSL and not available on the market. I've settled on a couple of pea varieties - Stokesley and Gladstone as my "stock" peas, I now have enough of them to be self-sufficient in pea seed, although to keep enough is difficult as it takes great resolve not to eat them!

I also have about 16 different tomatoes on the go and a squash to try this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 13:12 »
Did you get your seeds from the HSL (Heritage Seed Library)? It's quite expensive to join that nowadays as you have to be a member of Garden Organic as well.

I'll say its expensive £33 for Garden Organic and another £18 for HSL!!!

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 22:28 »
The Heritage seed I grow are purely from the HSL and not available on the market. I've settled on a couple of pea varieties - Stokesley and Gladstone as my "stock" peas, I now have enough of them to be self-sufficient in pea seed, although to keep enough is difficult as it takes great resolve not to eat them!

I also have about 16 different tomatoes on the go and a squash to try this year.
The taste of the Stokesley peas is worth the membership alone!  It is without doubt the best pea I have ever grown or tasted.  It is now grown on several other plots at our allotment.  I shared some of the seed I saved in the seed circle 2016.  I will  be happy to send some to others this year, enough to raise a few plants, as long as you promise not to sell it on commercially.

newupthetump

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44 »

The taste of the Stokesley peas is worth the membership alone!  It is without doubt the best pea I have ever grown or tasted.  It is now grown on several other plots at our allotment.  I shared some of the seed I saved in the seed circle 2016.  I will  be happy to send some to others this year, enough to raise a few plants, as long as you promise not to sell it on commercially.

I would be interested to know how Stokesly compares to Hurst Greenshaft for taste and yield? how would you rate them?

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:20 »
I haven't grown Hurst Greenshaft myself, but one of my plot neighbours used to, until I introduced him to Stokesley.  would say yield is similar, but the Stokesley taste is far superior.

al78

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:38 »

I'll say its expensive £33 for Garden Organic and another £18 for HSL!!!

If that is annual membership, it is not that expensive, about the price of a meal for two at a decent restaurant, or one tank of petrol, or a handful of impulse buys in the sales.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:01 »
If that is annual membership, it is not that expensive

That judgement depends on your income ;)

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23 »
If that is annual membership, it is not that expensive

That judgement depends on your income ;)

Yeah with £50 I can buy lot of manure or compost rather spending on extra seeds.. But it is useful for people offering support to  old varieties and interested trying non commercial cultivars

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 09:59 »
Our Seed Circle is a good way of sharing less common and Heritage varieties, and I have had several over the years that have become firm favourites, such as  Champion of England peas and a couple of tomatoes. It is a good chance to try something new for very little outlay: last year's offerings included an unusual Indian variety of green & white aubergine and several rather promising looking chillies and tomatoes.

Have a look here if you'd like to join:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124920.0

You don't need to decide what to provide until mid April: small quantities of seed from three varieties you grow that have not "crossed" with anything else. Dead simple

Let me know if you're keen!

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 22:29 »
Our Seed Circle is a good way of sharing less common and Heritage varieties, and I have had several over the years that have become firm favourites, such as  Champion of England peas and a couple of tomatoes. It is a good chance to try something new for very little outlay: last year's offerings included an unusual Indian variety of green & white aubergine and several rather promising looking chillies and tomatoes.

Have a look here if you'd like to join:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124920.0

You don't need to decide what to provide until mid April: small quantities of seed from three varieties you grow that have not "crossed" with anything else. Dead simple

Let me know if you're keen!
I would recommend it.  I have had some lovely things in the last 2 years.  I have shared several things I got from the Heritage Seed Library originally.

xx
Heritage seeds help

Started by aubergine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 08:32
by peapod
xx
heritage seeds?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:53
by solway cropper
xx
Heritage Seeds

Started by Nige2Plots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:23
by DD.
xx
heritage tomato seeds

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 09:38
by spuriousmonkey

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 38 queries.