What to do with my toms now?

• 15 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
What to do with my toms now?
« on: April 14, 2013, 16:59 »
Got them in individual loo rolls and paper pots and they seem to be doing well. Here's a pic of the Roma

And the Moneymaker and Gardeners's Delight:

Do I do anything with these or are they quite happy where they are?

Cheers,
Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with my toms now?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 20:48 »
That's a lot of tomatoes.  36??  :D  Assume you are going to grow them outdoors?

Keep them in good light and don't let them get too warm or they get leggy.  Hope you are using the tin foil trick to get even light.

They like 20 degrees to germinate - then growing on a bit cooler, 15 degrees or so, but not less then 10 degrees or they sulk.  Better too warm than too cold.

Now the exciting bit is gambling that the weather will get warm enough to plant them out before they outgrow their pots. You've probably got 3 or 4 weeks I guess.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:21 »
all my tomatoes, courgettes, peppers and chillis are potted on and still in doors!  although for the past few days they have had day trips outside .... in a box as its so windy.

On a slightly different note two of my pepper plants the seed leaves have turned yellow?!? Their current home is on a south facing windowsil and the other 6 are ok what could cause the yellow leaves ?
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:40 »
They may have started to run out of nutrients, especially if you have had to water them a lot. A little dose of half strength tomato food should see them right
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:56 »
They may have started to run out of nutrients, especially if you have had to water them a lot. A little dose of half strength tomato food should see them right

On it, thanks sunshine :)

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 18:57 »

Good idea! I will give them a good going tomorrow.
Kind Regards
Bill

Stree

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 19:25 »
If they were my toms I would be quite happy with them. Mine are now in similar size pots (assuming those are 3") but most on the second set of true leaves and a bit taller. I intend to leave them in these pots for a while yet.
As for giving them feed, I always thought you only fed toms after they set flower...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 20:05 »
Agree with all the advice above, but never despair, (actually I don't think you need to), so remember, that when you pot them on, just bury the stems right up to the first leaves, as they'll produce new side-roots which is a damn good thing!

Nicely done you - keep 'em going!

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Re: What to do with my toms now? Updated
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 08:00 »
Morning all,

My toms seem to be coming along nicely but yet again I'm at that 'what should I do now' phase.  :blink:

Here are the Gardeners's delight:

The moneymaker:

And finally the Roma:

Do all of these need potting on again, and if so do I put them right up to the first leaves again? And when should I start hardening them off.

Thanks in advance - the Mrs seems to have 'misplaced' the seed packets so I can't refer to them.

Jim (feeling like an idiot as always)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09 »
I'd take them off the heat first  :lol: :lol:
Are the roots excaping out of the sides and bottoms yet? If yes then pot up a size if you have pots deep enough they can go in up to their bottom leaves. They'll make really nice sturdy plants if you do  ;)

They can stand outside on any warmish days but have to come in during the evening until temps stay reliably above 10C, which seems a long way off at the mo  ::)

Let's hope we do finally get some decent weather for them!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:54 »
Mine are up and down. One day they look as happy as Larry, next day they have the monk on. Conditions are very stable, no big changes in temp, no draughts, watered the same every time. Go figure.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:23 »
Your toms are looking good jim!  Beware once the roots come out the bottom of the toilet roll tubes that they will spread sideways and tangle with thier neighbours roots.  This is happening with some peas I have in tubes but not sure if there's much you can do about it other than pot them on.  I'm unsure how delicate the roots so I'm hoping a bit of damage when I do seperate them won't cause a big issue with peas.

My toms are a bit bigger and now in deep 5" pots.  Just need to take some cuttings to multiply them but could someone tell me if I have the right idea in regards to cuttings?  Planning to snip the side shoot at an angle, dip in rooting hormone then stick them in moist compost.  Hope its that simple as I only have one marmalade and one black sea man atm.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

crh75

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:45 »
I think it is even easier than that - no need for rooting hormone.

jezza

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 23:27 »
hi taking tomato cuttings dont cut shoots pull them gentlydown and to the side this leaves a slight heel where roots should come from  cutting side shoots can spread disease  .A compost recipe for greenhouse grown tomatoes in pots 1cwt of well rotted manure 1cwt of sterilized top soil 1/2cwt of sand 1/2 poundeach ofphosphate and potash mix well  should be enough for30 12"pots or dig a hole and plant straight in  jezza

Ema

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 23:43 »
Never thought to take cuttings from side shoots!

My toms are in paper cups and are at a similar stage - a lot of them will be going into pots on my patio and a few of the mort outdoor tolerant might make it to the plot. They will all be potted on probably next weekend as deep as the pots/leaves will allow.

xx
toms

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:09
by Thompson24
xx
Please look at my Toms :-(

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 10:56
by Maryann
xx
My Toms :(

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 22:07
by mumofstig
xx
What's up with these toms?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 10:52
by Mike.white

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.