Leeks

• 54 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leeks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:29 »
They'll be OK, especially once the weather starts to warm up. After all, you can direct sow them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:36 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 12:14 »
The reason I like to get mine started early is that I'm still a little traumatised by my early efforts to get them to grow big enough to plant out in time, although we did have a bit of fun describing our various experiences in this thread:  :lol:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=57715.msg678272#msg678272

"Pencil thick"....... that's what I'm after. Unfortunately sometimes we have thin pencils.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 12:23 »

"Pencil thick"....... that's what I'm after. Unfortunately sometimes we have thin pencils.  ::)

Last year mine were like blades of grass when I put them out :D I eventually got some inch or so thick leeks, but hoping for better this year. I've followed DD's advice and sown them in a deep tray (wooden box actually), an inch apart all round. I might do another tray this weekend as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 14:02 »

Last year mine were like blades of grass when I put them out :D I eventually got some inch or so thick leeks, but hoping for better this year. I've followed DD's advice and sown them in a deep tray (wooden box actually), an inch apart all round. I might do another tray this weekend as well.

Biro refill size are about the thinnest I put in last year amongst more promising specimens. I had meant to compare results for the 3 varieties I grew but, in the process of planting out, plonked the lot in randomly.  ::)

The tinniest were kept back for the cottage-garden plot across the road.... the results are tiny but edible...still waiting to be lifted and eaten.  ;)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 14:20 »
I'm also resorting to sowing more this year. At least that way if they're skinny I can pick three for one :D

Eblana

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 14:27 »
Have cat litter tray, compost and seed ready - was going to do them tonight but looking at the weather forecast have decided to leave them till the weekend when I will probably be snowed in and need of some therapy ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 14:38 »
I'm trying this for the first time too - magnifying glass at the ready to help with DD's method of sowing individually, snifter of Torres at the ready to help brace morale when I drop the seeds everywhere!  :D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 16:23 »
When I've tried to grow leeks before I've rarely got them past the grass thin size!!
I've then bought pencil thick leeks and grown them on.

Very determined to get them right from seed this year! So far - grass thin seedlings! Plenty of time though ;) :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 16:48 »
I'm trying this for the first time too - magnifying glass at the ready to help with DD's method of sowing individually, snifter of Torres at the ready to help brace morale when I drop the seeds everywhere!  :D

One finds that one's forefinger is the ideal tool to go over the soil and dib little holes at 1" intervals all over the surface at a depth of 1/2" (OK, mark a ring around your finger with a felt-tip as a depth gauge if you really must!)  ::)

Getting one tiny little black diamond in each hole isn't that difficult as long as you pick them up from a few in the palm of your hand rather than hoping to shake them one at a time out of the packet.  :nowink:

No need to sieve soil to cover,  just gentle disturbance of the surface will fill the holes in if the compost isn't too wet, water, and wait...........

Works every time for me, and my eyes are rubbish!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 18:06 »
Last year I had a load of thin leek plants left after I'd planted out the bigger ones. It seemed too much bother to dibble them in individually so I put four or five to a hole, just to use them up.

I'm still eating the little half inch thick leeks that resulted - delicious.  :happy:

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 18:08 »
Just for info...poundland have cat litter trays for ....yep a quid....got one today and my leeks will go in next week.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Kirpi

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 19:25 »
If you direct sow leeks, do you have to dig up and replant deeper at some point so the stems are blanched by planting lower in the bed or do you earth up or put on some kind of sleeve?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 19:32 »
It's usual to sow the seeds in a short row, close grow the seedlings and then replant into a dibbed hole.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 19:51 by DD. »

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 21:05 »
I was going to plant mine direct into the plot, but after reading some of the notes on here i think i'll sow em inddors first.  Cheers

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 22:06 »
I tried searching for DD top tips on leeks and couldnt find it .... so i got a large pot and sprinkled them in (only a large pinch) ..... will sow my next lot in a tray and mark my finger with a pen!!!  :lol:
My leeks last year were rubbish .... with the extra love and attention i hope to get a better crop!
Saying that i am now waiting for the snow and if my OH can get back from Edinburgh tomorrow!!!  :ohmy:
Plan to make snow rabbits with my girls .....
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

xx
Leeks

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 20:12
by kezlou
xx
leeks

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 22:06
by bravemurphy
xx
Leeks

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 12:37
by Sharonx
xx
Leeks

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 18:37
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 30 queries.