White grubs eaten into strawberry plants

• 8 Replies

hubballi

White grubs eaten into strawberry plants
« on: March 16, 2013, 14:05 »
I have some strawberry s in a hanging basket that I was refreshing the compost for this season. The plants themselves were not showing any signs of illness except small for the time of year. When I emptied the compost I found a lot of small white grubs that had eaten into the roots and made concave deep holes. I got rid of every one of them as well as soaking the plants in water to kill any remaining grubs that could be inside the roots. I have re-potted them and made sure all soil was sieved. They don't look like vine weevil as its too early for the grubs. Also, vine weevil don't attack strawberrys (at least I think they don't)

Can anyone tell me what they were, how they got into a hanging basket that has been giving me good crops for the last 4 years and more importantly, will they survive now I have got rid of the little beggars ?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 14:07 by hubballi »

Auntiemogs

Re: White grubs eaten into strawberry plants
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 15:12 »
I'm sorry to say that they may well be vine weevil grubs.  The larvae are out there overwintering and waiting for spring and they love strawberries.   :(

Whilst they don't fly, the adults are very good climbers, so that could be how they got there in the first place.

The eggs (I recently discovered) are almost too small to see, so it is good that you gave the plants a wash.  Unfortunately, even if you got all of them, it is likely there are more lurking somewhere, particularly in pots.

Non-edible plants can be treated with Provado Vine Weevil Killer but for edibles you will have to wait for the weather to warm up and invest in some nematodes. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at the end of the day, after four years the plants will about have run their course and at least you know they are there now.....

Mags

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

hubballi

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 16:33 »
Thanks mags. The reason I thought they were not vine weevil was because the nursery I sometimes work at in the summer, we find them in the cutting trays when we are potting on. They are the same size, if smaller developed. A few years ago I had a rhododendron die because of vine weevil but I haven't had the problem since. Only cabbage and onion grubs from the fly. The good thing is it hasn't got into my other strawberry s in other pots so hopefully it was a one off. I will certainly invest in the nematode s when I order my slug ones soon.

D you think that the plants will recover when potted on? I know they are old but I will try another year as well as buy some other varietys this year.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 16:35 by hubballi »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 16:58 »
I would think as long as they are treated and have enough root left they should be ok and you have nothing to lose by trying....

I would be tempted to treat all your pots though 'just in case'. 

I was in a major panic last week when I was turning up weevil larvae and loads of eggs.  I now know that the eggs must have been slug/snail eggs so I'll order extra nematodes for them too.  The weevil eggs are apparently less than 1mm and difficult to see, so I'll be treating everything although they do prefer pots...

I'm a bit concerned that your nursery may be selling on plants which may be infested although I don't know if this is the norm...  I never had a problem until I imported them from a garden centre and am very careful what I buy now although I guess they may have got me eventually.  I'll post a picture anyway...

Best of luck,

Mags

Weevil.jpg

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 18:41 »
It's amazing how something so soft can chew through such a hard root. The plants have no fibrous roots, just the orange main tap left. Perhaps they will grow again. The nursery I work at to be fair uses compost with vine weevil killer in it. These were just a few in some trays.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 19:06 »
Horrible little things make me shudder!  ::) 

They managed to kill off a 3ft potted connifer last year and I know they're in my big strawberry barrel this year.  :ohmy:  May try moving the strawbs to a raised bed and nematode heavily!  :)

I was also given the tip of putting gravel/pea shingle in the top of the pots as apparently the adults don't like burrowing through it. I'll give anything a try to be honest, don't want them munching on my blueberrys (another favourite apparently)....

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 21:14 »
Well I had already mulched the top with pine needles as it is supposed to do them good. I would have thought the beetles would have had a hard job getting through them.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 21:21 »
Let me know if it works Hubbali (imagining the buzzing of tiny chain saws as they try to cut through :lol:).  I've put some in but I'm going to go for pea shingle on top and a good watering of namatodes.  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 23:50 »
I re-did my strawberry troughs and found loads of them. I tipped out the soil, let the chickens have a munch and cleaned off the plants. Some roots were completely destroyed but as there were green leaves I re-potted and amazingly they've survived! I got them in my tomato hanging baskets last year too.
Horrible things......

xx
Strawberry plants - white stuff on crowns

Started by muddywellies on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 07:22
by muddywellies
xx
Little white Grubs

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by Aidy
xx
White caterpillar/grubs???

Started by joyce c on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 17:56
by cob nut
clip
sprouts wilting, small white grubs eating roots??

Started by lowermeadow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2019, 22:11
by cc

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 27 queries.