White caterpillar/grubs???

• 7 Replies

joyce c

White caterpillar/grubs???
« on: November 13, 2010, 13:29 »
Today I've been emptying my summer baskets and tubs.  I found small grub type caterpillars in some of the compost. When I lifted by begonia tubers, they were also found on those. They are alive.  Any thoughts as to what my plan of action should now be. I was thinking of putting the used compost into my now manured, raised beds.  I have just come in from the garden to post this query...quick replies please, so that I can get on with the clearing up.  ::)

8doubles

Re: White caterpillar/grubs???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 13:33 »
Sounds like the dreaded Vine Weevil grubs chomping the roots of your plants. My chooks get any pot plants i find weevil in .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 13:39 by 8doubles »

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 13:34 »
Sound like they might be vine weevil larvae if they were in tubs.  On to the bird table with them!

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 13:37 »
Are the grubs a creamy/white colour with a dark head & curled like a C shape?  if so they are probably Vine weevil grubs which live on the roots of plants, if you are going to put the used compost onto your flower beds or anywhere else for that matter I would go through the compost very thoroughly & remove all the grubs first - if you have a garden pond you could feed the grubs to the fish, or feed them to the birds...or failing that kill them as they will continue to do damage to plants if left.

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 15:03 »
about 1/2 inch long with brown to orange heads  ? vine grubs , robins love then lol

joyce c

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 15:57 »
Thanks so much for the replies.  I have examined my composts thoroughly, and yes, the nasty beasties are now on the bird table.  Thanks once again for quick response. I had to make good use of this glorious Autumn sunshine.

joyce c

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 16:03 »
As an after=thought.  Can anyone tell me where the vine weevil comes from....how does it get into the compost in the first place, and is there anything I can do to stop them coming back.

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 17:56 »
The vine weevil is a nasty, ugly grey/black weevil that seems mostly to come out after dark from it's hiding place, it can climb walls, pots & containers, it also eats the leaves of plants, leaving notches on the edge of the leaves & lays its eggs mostly in pots/containers/tubs, it seems to be the grubs that do the most damage to plants.  Amongst it favourite plants are strawberries & fuchsias, I believe there is a spray available to water the surface of the soil, now whether that kills both the weevil & the grubs I don't know.

xx
Little white Grubs

Started by Fire2920 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by Aidy
xx
Cabbage White caterpillar - net or no net?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 19:19
by Webby
xx
cabbage white butterfly & caterpillar deterrent

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2023, 18:12
by KalisDad
xx
White grubs eaten into strawberry plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 23:50
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.