Chitting commenced

• 30 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
Chitting commenced
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:55 »
I have nearly 160 various earlies seconds and mains chatting on a table by a window in an unheard room, reasonably bright.  Question is I bought by weight and there is mainly little seeds.  Is this normal bearing in mind a bad year last year

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Chitting commenced
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17 »
You're not the first to make that observation on here this year - the ideal size for seed spuds is usually said to be hens egg size, but it doesn't really matter if they are smaller or larger than that (small ones will shrivel quicker but should still be OK to plant if they have healthy-looking chits on.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Ema

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 16:46 »
At my local potato day I hand picked all the big seed spuds most of mine are duck egg size. I did notice at the garden centre they were pretty small ping pong ball size

Yana

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 21:19 »
Bought my seed potatoes from the lottie shop today and they varied in size from too big to fit into the egg carton to wobbling about cos too small. However, have to say they are in good condition and happy with what ive got as sizes were OK i think. Price seemed good too as I dont grow that many and wanted small amounts of some to experiment with.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 18:42 »
Got some first earlies and maincrop so far from home bargains. Going to get the rest from the garden centre
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 14:04 »
Mine arrived today.  :D  All fairly hen's egg sized.

Belana, Lady Christl, Sarpo mira and King Eddies.....here's hoping for better things this year...

I got mine from T and M, in a fit of weakness - last time they were awful - but this time they look OK.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 13:23 »
I have nearly 160 various earlies seconds and mains chatting on a table by a window in an unheard room, reasonably bright. 

How do you know they are chatting if they're in an unheard room??  :lol:  ;)
Rachael

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 13:49 »
I love predictive text.....  :nowink: :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 18:38 »
re chitting, i have around 30 maris piper seed pots from last year still on a windowsill. they have really thick sprouts. will they be any good to plant this year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 18:47 »
re chitting, i have around 30 maris piper seed pots from last year still on a windowsill. they have really thick sprouts. will they be any good to plant this year?

Gosh! I thought I was pushing it chucking away unwanted chitted seed spuds after about 7 months - I'd suggest checking to see if there is a Guinness Book of Records category for chitted potatoes!  :lol:

If the chits look like they're supposed to (not too long, and purple/green) then they are clearly still alive so should grow if planted.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 18:53 »
the chits are about the thickness of my little finger and about 20mm long with a purplish green hue. my OH has been nagging me to throw them out (their first birthday in the bedroom window was last week)  :D.

madcat

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:06 »
Impressive!  That goes for the spuds and the tolerance of OH!   :D  plant carefully so as not to break the chits and sounds like they will be fine.  Do tell, won't you, how it goes?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 18:04 »
Those year old chitted potatoes have probably gone through one life cycle and my guess is that they will do something strange like produce lots of marble sized tubers - or none. Throw them out  NOW!!!!!!!!

Farmers plant potatoes by weight. If the average seed is small they plant them closer in the row.

madcat

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05 »
At this point I am reminded of the old story about gardeners - ask 5 gardeners their opinion about something and you will get 6 different answers.  Probably applies to farmers too!   ;)

xx
chitting

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 22:31
by DD.
xx
Chitting already!!!!!

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 17:44
by Totty
xx
Chitting

Started by Daisygirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 16:09
by DD.
xx
chitting

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 22:10
by Annie

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 30 queries.