keeping the foxes out

• 14 Replies

dan808

keeping the foxes out
« on: February 02, 2013, 16:55 »
I don't know if this is in the right section but I'm building my chicken run and  hoping some one can tell me how deep to dig mesh in the ground, also there's a kestrel in the area would that bother then hens no fellow plot holders have any sort of roof? 
Thanks Dan
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

Debbieta

Re: keeping the foxes out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 17:44 »
Just as an idea, we have dug in our galvanised weld mesh between 12 to 15 inches all the way round our main run.  Took some digging as we are on solid clay, so if anything can dig down and through that good luck to them!  It took us several days digging so far, then having to water before digging deeper.  We also have some edges slabbed to make things harder. Hope this helps
Debbie

Debbieta

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 17:46 »
Meant to add a kestel shouldn't be a problem if you have adult or larger fowl, although we have buzzards and the occassional red kite over our way, but none have taken an interest so far.  But again our main run is roofed near trees so I guess the feel fairly secure.  Outside might be interesting though if one flew over!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 18:40 »
at least 2 spades depth in and L shape. Do not slab as they will start digging outside slab area and could therefore dig through.
I have part covered so area with house and food is kept dry and outer run area has bean and pea netting.

dan808

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36 »
Thanks guys :D

Debbieta

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 13:19 »
Just to help, my slabbed area is actually on the inside of the run and covers 12' by 8' at the end area, so I think any wildlife would be bagging the heads for a long time :lol: ::) :lol:.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:51 »
I would opt for a 6-7ft fence. Double mesh it for the first 4 or 5feet and dig a trench all the way round then fill with concrete. A bag of ballast costs around £42 if i remember correctly and cement can be around £3 a bag. So for around £50 you have that piece of mind. A tonne bag of ballast will go along way so if you have a small run you could just buy ballast in 20kg bags from wickes etc and it will be nearer £2- or £30 to do the job. We've had no problem with foxes what so ever although alot of people in the village do. Also if you have a dog that is a little noisey that helps matters and if you groom your dog then scatter the hair around the garden or urinate around the perimeter of your run, it all helps. If that all fails then invest in an electric fence and or/possibly cctv to see when the fox is visiting (this is my next step as I hear them but never see them).

Good luck :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 13:22 »
I dont know if these piccys help a little.... unfortunately I dont have one of the finished article up close. But I finished it off with gravel board at the bottom. One bit of mesh went underground in an L then covered in concrete and the other I stapled to the gravel board.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36 »
I'm not an expert but when I read up about it I got the strong impression that weldmesh is the stuff - a fox can claw through chicken wire easily.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:27 »
correct nerdle - chicken wire is to keep chickens in not foxes out, they can easily rip chicken wire apart. Always use a decent thickness of weldmesh.
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 01:07 »
This is my coop, slabbed inside and out plus concreted between the joins. I put chipped bark for the chix to scratch in & for warmth. Coroline roof. Weldmesh all the way round. In the winter I put poly sheeting up to protect the chix from the wind & to keep them warmer. So far, since i've changed it, had no fox problems.
coop.jpg

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19 »
I went for one layer of chicken wire and one layer of weld mesh then tied it together with small wire ties.

I love that door, wildwitchy  :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:22 »
Thank you nuzuki. It was a old shed door that had been hanging round the garden for ages - So I made use of it! Added a few strips onto it to make it fit.  :D

I should think what you've done nuzuki should suffice.  ;) Its just using chicken wire only thats a bit dodg. Yours is a nice big coop, loads of greenery for the chix.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59 »
It has a meshed roof also just incase mr fox gets adventurous, it doesnt stop the garden birds getting through and helping themselves to the feeder though. The greenery is erm... no longer there thanks to the chickens, it is 100% mud.

wildwitchy

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 18:02 »
yes, they're great ahem gardeners arn't they!

xx
keeping out foxes

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 09:01
by Sassy
xx
Keeping away foxes

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 22:28
by brown
xx
foxes

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:52
by shetan
xx
B****Y FOXES

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 10:21
by conventgirl

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 31 queries.