No signs of life

• 5 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
No signs of life
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:52 »
Hi,  I've been looking for signs of life from my garlic for a while now.  I planted the cloves late September last year and nothing seems to be happening.  I'd have thought after the cold snap recently they would have germinated and been poking through by now but no  :(

I've had a furtle  :D  they are still there all safe and sound just not doing anything  >:(

Is there any hope of them gerninating now?

compostqueen

Re: No signs of life
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:59 »
I would have thought so.  Some of mine are not up yet  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10 »
the reason you plant in autumn is so that the cloves can throw out roots, but you don't really want the green shoots up until the worst of the winter weather is out of the way - strong winds especially can be damaging to foliage.  I planted 5 different varieties in October - only the early varieties have made an appearance and probably as a result of the mild weather we had in late December/early January.  Come spring, the later varieties will start poking through and I'll be happy with that  :)

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:25 »
There are no roots on the cloves, they are just as they went in really, still firm.  I'm not sure of the varieties.  Some were cloves which we bought whilst in France last summer, not seed garlic just a few cloves from the bulbs were were using in the kitchen.

I also planted some from Wilko ones but don't think they stated the variety on the packet.

I planted wilko ones the previous year and I'm sure they were sprouting green shoots in Dec when we had snow, It might have been later in the year though.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:38 »
I went to check out mine at the weekend.  I couldn't see anything from the row of garlic I planted.

There was a very wonky row of onions growing (winter ones from sets), I think they must have moved around in the gound after planting  :unsure:

My ones in planters are showing much more growth though, the proof will be when it is harvest time.

Hannah :)

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 15:05 »

I would wait and be patient. There shouldnt be much else going on in the garden right now so I would just see what happens in the next dew months.

If garlic is really important to you maybe plant a few more cloves now just incase?

Also, may I ask if you dug a hole and placed them in or if you pushed them into the ground? Pushing them in the ground can damage the root plate and kill the clove.

- Gary.
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

xx
Apple tree no signs of life.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 16:35
by Lardman
xx
First signs of Spring

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 00:27
by Paul Plots
xx
First real signs of spring

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 15:16
by stu_wat
xx
when should I worry about no signs of asparagus

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:55
by Ice

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 28 queries.