Like a kid on Christmas morning

• 19 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Like a kid on Christmas morning
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:23 »
Hi everyone.

I am so excited to get my first allotment plot  :) On a whim, I wrote to ask if I could put my name down on the waiting list, fully expecting to be in my old age before getting one and couldn't beleive it when they phoned to say there was one available now.  Actually there were three available, a choice of plots no less :ohmy:

I went yesterday to have a look and have bagged myself a great plot, in a good position, surrounded by others that are all well looked after.

I measured it out and it's about 36 feet by 41 feet, so a half plot I think.  It was worked on last year so although there are some surface weeds and a few clumps of grass to deal with when it dries out, I don't think it will take too long to knock into shape.

I met two lovely old fellas that have been there since the sixties.  They were so friendly and helpful and one of them has a plot next door but one to mine.  I'm sure he will be a wealth of information and stories.

He was telling me how he gives most of his produce away and donates it to the local care homes. How lovely :)

While I was being shown the three plots available we walked through some terribly boggy areas, with some plots lower down the site being completely swamped.  Such a shame to see, I wonder how long it will be before they can work on them again?

My plot is at the top so although it's wet at the moment it's not too bad.  I cant wait for the better weather and to make a start with the digging.

I have a plan to make it cottage garden style so not sure how well this will go down with the regulars who all seem to have adopted the more traditional straight rows on their plots.  I'd like to have a mix of veg and flowers so lots of companion planting.  I'l be using wigwams to grow my beans just because I think they look nice  :lol:

I'll start a diary on here once I get going as yours have all been such a great source of inspiration and I look forward to seeing your comments on my progress.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Like a kid on Christmas morning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43 »
oooh! Good luck with that - have you got one of their sheds near your plot?

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14 »
It's exciting isn't it Sue when you get your first plot.  I grow mine in a more Motley style, I have cottage garden, companion planting, dig and no dig plots.  There are a lot of straight lines in the plots around mine, but everyone comments on how nice my flowers look, especially the cosmos when it gets into full flower.

I love to have the house full of flowers, and the bees appreciate it too.

Kiddleywinks

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:25 »
Aww, well done Sue.
I waited 3 years for mine, picked the keys up Thursday, and then it snowed!

I went up again on Saturday with a snow shovel, and measured out where things are going to go (shed, beds etc) and then took a picture  :lol:

Just want to get started now, but it's far too wet to do anything up there at the moment

Good luck with yours

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26 »
Sounds idyllic. Good luck with it.  

To be fair to the old guys the straight rows make it easier to sort the veg from the weeds and the progress up the row with the hoe.  Serried ranks of the same crop though is a bit of a red flag to the pests though and I agree that putting some hardy annuals in there will help. Looks better to

A good book for you would be Joy Larkcom's Creative Vegetable Gardening. Borrow a copy from the library. You won't regret it  :)  Her Veg Growers Handbook is cracking too  
Also, I must mention that our host here, John Harrison, has a lovely allotment book which guides you through all you need to know month by month. You can buy it here I believe  :)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:22 »
Hi Sue,

Congrats on your plot.  Your plans for a potager style allotment sound great!  I have a cut flower border at the front of my plot, which is fronted by a picket fence made from pallets!  I also plant companion plants (marigolds, calendula, nasturtiums, nigella) around the edges of my beds so they soften the edges of the raised beds.  I have now painted the shed the same colour as the picket fence but here is how it looked in Spring 2011:

I second CQ's book recommendations, I would recommend a copy of the Geoff Hamilton Cottage Garden book if you can pick one up second hand or at the library - it is very inspiring.  

Remember, lots of fruit and veg plants are decorative too!  Blossom and fruit on fruit trees, flowers on currant bushes, rocket flowers when they go to seed, fresh green of sweetcorn plants, blue-green of leeks, coloured chard leaves, flowers and seed heads from herbs, voluminous courgette flowers (as well as fruit) and pretty flowers on mange tout, pea and bean plants.  I would recommend you sort out a place to sit too - it is nice to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labour while you have a drink and rest your sore limbs and do more planning!

I also grow sweet peas alongside my beans and peas and have espaliered fruit trees surrounding my plot.  My plot is full of ladybirds and pollinators from spring onwards so I must be doing something right!

I took over a new plot midsummer last year, so I have plans for the new plot, but am taking my time on this one.  I am thinking I might incorporate a pergola for us to lunch under, but also to provide shelter from the wind, with a grapevine growing over it.  I need to take a cutting from the one in my garden at home.

Good luck with it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:23 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55 »
Good news, Sue!

Mrs G grows sweet peas down there every year, and also this year ther'll be a load of sweet williams as well!

When you consider that you'll get colour on all sorts of beans and peas, as well as any soft fruit, your idea of some more flowers is marvellous!

Hope it all goes well for you - I'm sure it will!

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:37 »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, it's great to share my enthusiasm with you and read about your experiences.

There are no sheds immediately next to my plot Mumofstig, why do you ask?  ???

I have just ordered the book you suggested Compostqueen, thankyou  :)

Your plot looks wonderful Angeladavis, just the sort of thing I had in mind so I hope you won't mind me pinching some of your ideas.  I love your flowers borders at the front of your plot, they really catch the eye.  I bet everyone stops to chat and admire them as they walk by  :)

I have lots of herbaceous perennials at home that I intend to take cuttings from (although it's not my strong point) and I saved lots of seed from the annuals last summer so hopefully I will have an area ready to sow them in by the spring.

I am trying to limit myself on looking at this great forum as I have two RHS exams to cram for in two weeks; it's so addictive  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43 »
There are no sheds immediately next to my plot Mumofstig, why do you ask?  ???

When I had my plot on a Sheerness site you could only have one of their lock-up sheds, and mine was quite a way  :(
I just wondered if you were luckier or if you are allowed a shed on your own plot now  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 21:10 »
Sounds like you'll be very busy in the near future Sue,hope it all goes well for you.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 22:40 »
I like to grow the flowers in with the veg, right up close, in fact in the same packet  :)  Take a packet of carrot seed, mix it with spring onion and nigella and then sow  :)

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45 »
Hi Sue

looking forward to reading your Diary and lots of photographs hopefully

Sweetpea C

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:20 »
Hi Sue,

Congrats on your plot.  Your plans for a potager style allotment sound great!  I have a cut flower border at the front of my plot, which is fronted by a picket fence made from pallets!  I also plant companion plants (marigolds, calendula, nasturtiums, nigella) around the edges of my beds so they soften the edges of the raised beds.  I have now painted the shed the same colour as the picket fence but here is how it looked in Spring 2011:

Okay if I copy it too? Absolutle beautiful :)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:21 by mumofstig »
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38 »
Here is a photo of the plot on the day I went to choose one.  Not much weeding to do then  :lol: :lol:

Actually it's not as bad as it looks.  The soil underneath is clearly visible when you part the brown top growth and as it's wet I think it should all pull up easy enough.

I noticed some rhubarb appearing and there are a couple of small raised beds buried in there too. 

The site is in Medway Road, Sheerness Mumofstig.  We are allowed sheds now so I intend to buy a 6x4  at some point.  I can drive right up to the plot which is handy and there is a water tap right in front of it too so no having to lug a watering can very far  :D

I love sweetpeas Growster and will definately be growing them to cut and bring home.  I once tried to grow them amongst my runners but it wasn't very successful. 

I love your idea of mixing the veg and flower seed together Compostqueen, I would never have thought of that,

I have requested some paving slabs on Freecycle so am hoping someone will have a few to make a base for the shed.  If I get offered a good few I could make a small patio area.  I have an old wooden bench at home that would be ideal to put on it.

My main concern is the paths and how to keep them weed free.  I suppose bark chips are the answer but then you need to retain them somehow.  I want to keep the costs down as much as possible as I have the shed and water butt to buy and compost bins to make (or rather my OH does)  :lol:

How do you all maintain your paths?
New plot jan 2013.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51 »
Good news about the shed - I'm glad they've changed the rules  :)

You could use black weed control fabric to cover your paths, many do  ;)

xx
Christmas Veg Bed

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 22:59
by solway cropper
xx
Christmas in May

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 12:10
by madcat
xx
Christmas veg

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 08:52
by New shoot
xx
Christmas Potatoes

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2010, 10:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 30 queries.