Do I have to buy fruit trees in pairs?

• 5 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Do I have to buy fruit trees in pairs?
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:37 »
Im starting my own orchard and have bought some fruit trees yesterday. I have a couple of apple, a couple of pear, a cherry, plum, and apricot. What im wondering is if I need to buy 2 of each for pollenation? Also do they need to be exactly the same? i.e. will 2 different types of pear tree still pollinate each other?

Any help is greatly appreciated

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Do I have to buy fruit trees in pairs?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57 »
Quite a few modern varieties are self fertile - it should say on the packets, or search the varieties online.

Most people use a different variety that flowers at the same time. There are lists of compatible pollination partners online ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:58 »
It very much depends on what you are buying. Some trees pollinate others, some don't, and some flower at different times. Before all this starts to make your head hurt, there is a guide to fruit tree pollination here:
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/pollination-of-fruit-trees which also has a handy pollination checker at the bottom of the page - put in the type of tree you want and it tells you if it needs a partner and what that could be.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08 »
Also, what about your neighbours gardens?  When I bought my apple trees, I assumed there was a good selection for cross pollination and most were self fertile anyway, but then read up on Bramley apples and realised that it was not going to fruit without a partner.  However, there were no more trees for sale so I left it for the following year.  Amazingly the tree produced fruit that year and then I found out that 2 gardens away thery had Bramleys  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27 »
Bramley apples can't pollinate other apples (and that includes other Bramleys) they are called Triploid

I needs pollination from another apple in order to fruit but in return cannot pollinate that other apple IYKWIM. That's why if you were growing them away from other apples you'd need to plant 3 trees to ensure every tree gets pollinated. This explains it all

http://www.trees-online.co.uk/pages_48.html

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56 »
Crikey its starting to hurt my head lol

We live in an end of village location and I was going to put them at the end of a paddock which will be 200metres from anyone elses garden. We currently have 3 different apples trees and a cherry tree in the garden. My aim was to make this orchard which will be around 50 metres from our garden. I have also built a bee hive and would like to look into keeping bees which im hoping will help with the pollenation. The bees will be in the orchard.

Thanks for the link to the online calculator, im going to make a note of the types written on the tags and then see if they need any special treatment or a partner.

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 38 queries.