Essential organic 'tool kit'

• 20 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Essential organic 'tool kit'
« on: January 14, 2013, 18:57 »
I have got my first plot, have almost finished digging out all my beds and have planned what I am planting where in a crop rotation pattern ready for next year.

My next step is going to be what 'essentials' do I need to get to make sure my plants grow well - i want to be organic as much as possible. From my attempts at growing things for my balcony containers last year I managed fine getting seeds started - it was when they hit the big outdoors it didn't go as well so I want to focus on this.

I have manured the beds I can (with no root veg etc) so what other essentials do I need? Blood, fish and bone seems to be mentioned a ploy in the books - Is this worth getting?

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
Re: Essential organic 'tool kit'
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 19:18 »
Comfrey! It's brilliant, particularly for fruiting plants. Set a little spot aside for a plant or two if you can - Bocking 14 is the variety you want

Nettles also make a good fertilizer for shoot and leaf growth, I wouldn't suggest growing these as they are normally plentiful 'wild'

Any other OM you can get your hands on will be good - rotted manure, seaweed, leaf-mould will do wonders for your soil, dig it in well before the growing season

And as you won't be using chemical weedkillers (hooray!  :) ) a good sharp hoe to keep the weeds down is an important tool and the use of a mulch to inhibit weed growth is a good idea. Some use black plastic but I prefer to use a thick feeding mulch such as leaf-mould or seaweed

Green manures are good for improving structure and retaining nutrients your soil

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 19:32 »
Thanks for all the tips. I have dug out a ridiculous amount of nettle roots and half dead plants from the plot and I know there is a massive patch next to the plot so I shall make use of them. How do you use them as a fertiliser? (Sorry to sound stupid)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 19:54 »
have a look at companion planting - certain flowers like french or mexican marigold are worth growing with crops that are prone to particular pests such as whitefly.  There are numerous other flowers and herbs that have similar properties, and often they also attract friendly insects for pollination or eat the aphids  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 20:16 »
Having tried companion planting, I'm not convinced it works, although it does look very pretty ::)

I think you are better covering the crops that attract beasties with enviromesh or other suitable netting to ensure you get an undamaged harvest.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 20:19 »
I've had success with love in a mist and carrots. Fine mesh netting for brassicas is essential.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 20:23 »
How do you use them as a fertiliser? (Sorry to sound stupid)

You can make nettle 'tea'.  You pick the nettles and they work best if bruised - a stamping on works wonders.  Cover with water in a container with a lid.  Wait 3-4 weeks then dilute the resulting liquid about 1 part to 10 parts water to use as a liquid feed.  The liquid is very smelly so site your container where you don't need to me smelling it all the time  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 20:30 »
Thanks everyone. Lots more areas to start reading up on :) Nettle tea will be brewing as soon as they start taking over the bit nearby!

Sweetpea C

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 20:35 »
I'm just watching the Cottage Garden with Carol Klien from last week and she is using nettles on her compost. My plot is covered in them so shall have a good base when I start digging them up.

Enjoy :-)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 22:44 »
How do you use them as a fertiliser? (Sorry to sound stupid)

You can make nettle 'tea'.  You pick the nettles and they work best if bruised - a stamping on works wonders.  Cover with water in a container with a lid.  Wait 3-4 weeks then dilute the resulting liquid about 1 part to 10 parts water to use as a liquid feed.  The liquid is very smelly so site your container where you don't need to me smelling it all the time  :)

Spot on, Comfrey can be used in the same way. I strain the liquid through tights before I use it, to stop it clogging up the watering can as much as anything.

Nettles for shoots
Comfrey for fruits

Ema

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 23:04 »
I'm planning on netting as much as possible it's expensive but it should give me a much better yield.

savbo

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48 »
And build a leaf mould bin as big as you can fit in. Mine is about 4' x 3' x 3' and even when I stuffed it full last year I only got a couple of barrowfuls to use this year....but it's lovely stuff. You may still find enough leaf litter this year if you dont mind scraping it up a bit

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 20:03 »
I have been scraping up piles of leaves like mad ((big trees nearby) I have just put it all in a pile at the moment next to the HUGE piles of 'open compost bank' I think the previous half-hearted owners attempted to make. A compost bin and now a leaf mould bin are definitely on my to-do list but getting hold of wooden pallets is hard when you don't drive (I have a source a 10 minute walk away but it took me z35 mins and very sore arms for days the last time I dragged 2 pallets down :(

savbo

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53 »
I recently bought a 80kg+ folding trolley from Screwfix...very sturdy and great for those occasions you want to move something heavy...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-platform-truck-80kg/68443

sav

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16 »
I recently bought a 80kg+ folding trolley from Screwfix...very sturdy and great for those occasions you want to move something heavy...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-platform-truck-80kg/68443

sav

I have a sack barrow that is very handy for moving those heavy bags of compost or whatever from one end of the plot to the other - very useful, and you can even fold it down to make a little 4 wheel flat bed trolley too

xx
Essential tools?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 18:29
by Christine
xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
most used garden tool

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 09:27
by Mr Rotavator

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 31 queries.