Sweet Ramiro Peppers

• 6 Replies

Eblana

Sweet Ramiro Peppers
« on: January 16, 2013, 20:09 »
Hi All,

I have just hit the hungry gap and had to buy veg today.  I bought 2 sweet ramiro peppers (1 Euro each - extortion!!), but they were really lovely.  I have kept the seed out of the middle, does anyone know if they have any hope of germinating and if so will they come true?  If not does anyone know if any of the seed companies are selling seeds for this variety.

BabbyAnn

Re: Sweet Ramiro Peppers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 21:07 »
Never heard of sweet ramiro.  As for whether they will germinate, if the pepper was ripened there's a good chance they will.  As for whether it produces fruit like what you bought is something else.  It could be an F1 hybrid in which case you may end up with something different.  Cross pollination is another possibility although I'm inclined to think that wherever they were grown there would be much the same variety around.  Out of curiosity I personally might attempt to grow a plant to see what happens - I've successfully grown some chillies from saved supermarket fruits but not so well with peppers. 

syks grower

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 22:02 »
They may be listed in seed catalogues as OX horn types of peppers.
Most of the big seed companies do similar kinds

SG6

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 22:50 »
Should germinate, no idea if they will come true.
They were probably pollinated from other Ramiro Peppers so a reasonable chance of getting something similar or the same.

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02 »
They're a commercial variety and there are numerous permutations of the actual Ramiro variety. Most growers will say they're growing a 'Ramiro-type' which just means the large sweet pointed ones. We grow one called Rubiero but you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between that and a Ramiro unless you were a pepper geek!

The sweet-pointed varieties you can by for the amateur market will probably give better results as they have been bred for gardeners, whereas your commercial varieties have been bred to be pampered at a constant 20 degrees C, well fed and grow in a CO2 enriched environment.

Free seeds though so why not give it a bash and let us know how you get on! :)

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16 »
The other thing to check is the country of origin on the packet, if it's UK then you've got a good chance but if it's Israel etc then it might be too cold here.
Paul

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 14:31 »
Thanks for all the responses - they are from Spain so it is probably too cold for them here in Ireland but i will give them a go in the Polytunnel anyway and see how I get on.

Just to be on the safe side I will get some seeds for sweet pointy peppers.

xx
Help with sweet peppers

Started by zopadooper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 17:41
by Snoop
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 00:34
by shokkyy
xx
Sweet Peppers

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 13:26
by FatGaz

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 36 queries.