Geenhouse Heater Question

• 10 Replies

richard2510

• A Year On The Plot
Geenhouse Heater Question
« on: January 16, 2013, 18:55 »
Hi,

I have a brand new Parasene 4 paraffin greenhouse heater. It was filled with paraffin a couple of weeks ago and tested. I have lit it for the first time last night, and I seem to have a problem I could use some help with.

If I have the flame low enough so it doesn't smoke, it burns itself out during the night. If I turn it up higher so it'll probably last the night, it smokes. 

What is the solution? I don't really want to get up every hour through the night and turn the wicks up a bit so they last through the night, equally I don't want a smoke filled greenhouse.

Help appreciated.

m1ckz

Re: Geenhouse Heater Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 19:32 »
sounds like the wick is burning and not the parafin,,,check that the wick is wet when u lite it..someone else will be on soon   may have a better suggestion  gl

richard2510

• A Year On The Plot
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 19:44 »
sounds like the wick is burning and not the parafin,,,check that the wick is wet when u lite it..someone else will be on soon   may have a better suggestion  gl

Yeah, I wondered about that. The, admittedly poor, instructions say to leave the paraffin to soak up the wick which I would have thought would have happened by now.

It just doesn't seem quite right somehow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 19:59 »
I usually have to go and readjust mine about an hour after I've lit it, it seems to have settled down by then  ::)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 20:32 »
try trimming the wick then re-light (new wicks can be a bit hairy, and they'll smoke then not burn efficiently thereafter).  Might take a few lights and very light trims to settle the wick.

Then practice the dark art of adjusting it til it's just right  :D

They're reliable enough with practice

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 20:46 »
Hi,

How much would it cost to run, I have a small greenhouse 4'x4' and don't fancy running a supply cable out. I guess it might give me a bit of a head start. :D

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 21:14 »
I have had a Parasene 4 for several years.  I have to turn up the wick slightly to light it and then let it warm up with the chimney on for 10-15 mins.  Then the flame is smoking and the wick is then turned down so it just stops smoking, and it is good for the night.

The tank of 4 liters lasts for 7-10 days.   4 l of paraffin is about £7 if I hunt around for special offers.  £9 if I dont.

The bad news is that it is next to useless to heat anything.  Much experimenting with max min thermometers in an 8 x 6 greenhouse.  (Draft-proofed but no bubble wrap because I need all the daylight I can get) suggests I am getting about 1 degree C temp rise.

I think I need four heaters to make the greenhouse sort of frost proof, or about a 2 KW fan heater.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 21:16 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 21:27 »
I strongly recommend creating a tent within your GH and only heating this.  I use an old "blow away" GH that someone was giving away on freecycle within my greenhouse.  I then only heat that.  Another idea is to put a coldframe inside the GH and only heat that.  You can also use bubble wrap and clothes pegs to create a tent.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 21:30 »
That's a cracking idea!  :) I think I might be investing in one!

savbo

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:06 »
Endorse the tent idea...I make one over one side of my 6x6 using bubblewrap, clipping it to the bench with clothes pegs, so I am only heating a relatively small box....having said that, wouldnt fancy putting a  flame in such a small area, I use an electric heater from aldi or lidl

sav

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33 »
The problem is that the heat rises and goes straight out through the glass roof. A sand box with a heating element in it works better as it heats the sand and the plants can be protected by transparent covers.

xx
Not so sure on the parrafin heater

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 16:30
by FRUITFULL
xx
Using a heater propagator.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 14:14
by compostqueen
xx
Parafin heater help!

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 17:00
by FRUITFULL
xx
should I put the parafin heater on?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 08:24
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.611 seconds with 29 queries.