potatoe peelings

• 21 Replies

allotmentann

Re: potatoe peelings
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36 »
Jay, do you rip up the loo roll tubes, or put them in as they are? I've never had a compost heap before so no idea. I'm going to have to completely change my mindset about waste and what can be used to compost, I stead of mindlessly binning/ recycling  :)

Anything that was once living can be composted, including old clothes made from cotton or wool, hair, feathers. vacuum cleaner emptyings, cardboard, paper, wood shavings etc,
The only real no no's are the stuff you probably would not want to touch anyway, such as dog, cat, and human waste. Although liquid human waste is excellent diluted.  Also, most people would not compost meat or cooked products as it can attract rodents.
There may be various reasons why some people would not compost some of the above list, but they will all compost. Generally the smaller you shred anything before adding it, the faster it will compost. If you can stir it occasionally it will compost even faster.
The only time I  have had the odd potato sprout in the compost bin is when I have added whole ones. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38 »
Jay, do you rip up the loo roll tubes, or put them in as they are? I've never had a compost heap before so no idea. I'm going to have to completely change my mindset about waste and what can be used to compost, I stead of mindlessly binning/ recycling  :)

If it's rippable I rip it! (smaller pieces rot down quicker than larger ones, which is true for everything that goes on the heap - best to mix cardboard in with the other stuff and not add too much at a time, and also sprinkle with water if it looks a bit dry.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17 »
Thank you :)
I shall need to find a container of some sort to transport stuff from home to go in the boot of the car for the compost heap  on my plot, when I've built it  :)
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 18:11 »
Thank you :)
I shall need to find a container of some sort to transport stuff from home to go in the boot of the car for the compost heap  on my plot, when I've built it  :)

I reuse many times old plastic sacks from when I have bought seed compost or sand and gravel.  Some of the bags are years old.  I find lots of little bags are easier to lift and carry than a few huge 120 L bags of wet compost. And small bags don't burst in the car either.  ::)  (I've just been reading about other people's experiences of transporting bags/tubs of manure in the car)

And on the OP.   I compost whole rotten & worm eaten spuds and thick peelings.  They do sprout in the the bin  but after they have been in the bin in the dark for a minimum of 18 months, they are good and dead.

Much more worried about attracting mice by composting ( uncooked ) kitchen waste.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Trillium

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 19:19 »
As for egg shells, I always rinse mine out first, then crush them up

I can't remember which tv garden series I watched but I recall someone had a complex method of growing brassicas in a clubroot infested plot with good results.  The seeds were started off in pots of compost and repotted to develop a good root system before planting out - the final potting compost was a mix of compost, horticultural lime (obvious now) and crushed egg shells.  I'm not sure what the purpose of the egg shells are (calcium?) but ever since then I've saved all my egg shells and dried them, then used a mortar & pestle to break up and grind to a gritty powder and stored in a tub ready to use.  It's not as industrious as it sounds and while I realise the lime is the key to raising the pH, as I've always had good results it's a method I stick with.

I used to rinse and save my egg shells in a carrier bag and when it was full enough I'd take an old mallet to it and pound down the shells to small bits that would be sprinkled around most veg. But I like your idea better of powdering the shells - makes for faster absorption, especially around finicky tomatoes and saves lots of space.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26 »
I put mine in the worm bin and let them enjoy them,  then use the casings in my compost. whether thats good or bad I'm not sure. LOL

Julie

Trillium

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 02:54 »
Worm castings are like gold and should be directly applied to plants, but light handed as they're very rich/strong.

xx
potato peelings in the compost?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 18:44
by sunshineband
xx
Paper shreddings and veg peelings

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 20:32
by Madame Cholet
xx
Potato plants from peelings

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 18:25
by Growster...
xx
Potato peelings on compost heaps

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 06:47
by Clampit

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 29 queries.