potatoe peelings

• 21 Replies

richy

• Experienced Member
potatoe peelings
« on: January 08, 2013, 16:19 »
Im just wondering if anyone else has stopped composting spud peelings, i stopped doing it just incase i pass on some disiese to my ground, i suppose that could be the same for any peelings though.

Richy

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: potatoe peelings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 16:20 »
I don't compost potato peelings to stop volunteers appearing in the compost.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 19:07 »
Likewise, I don't compost peelings in case they resprout.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 19:21 »
I compost mine and have yet to find any sprouts in the compost bin.

That said, we don't get potato blight much here and if I did, I wouldn't compost any peelings.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 20:17 »
They all get bunged in the compost bin here  ;) but they are finely cut with a peeler - It tends to be thick peelings or cut off lumps that grow I've found, so those pieces get but in the dustbin.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 20:21 »
I have a bag in the freezer in which I put the peelings then when the bag is full, I tip the peelings into the compost bin  ;)

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 21:48 »
That's a good idea Babbyann. Will remember that once I've built my compost heap/s! Need to source me some pallets first though!! :D
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Ema

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 21:58 »
I hadn't thought of this!! it's a good point!

I'm no longer going to compost egg shells, having just bagged a load of compost up out of the dalek all the egg shells had been pushed to the edges and hadnt decomposed at all

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 22:39 »
I compost them & if they sprout I just pull them out & chuck them back or harvest the spuds if they look ok,but last year i had lots of fresh steaming manure & that finished them off
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 22:45 »
I've always peeled my potatoes with a peeler and get only very thin peels, which is probably why I get no sprouts. Knife peeling would definitely give you sprouts.

As for egg shells, I always rinse mine out first, then crush them up before putting them into the compost. This way they mix in when I turn over the compost pile. Rinsing doesn't encourage critters. The egg shells won't break down during compost, but will eventually disappear once spread in the garden, which is why breaking them up first is handier - no shell clumps.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21 »
All my kitchen veg waste, toilet roll tubes and egg boxes go into the dalek nearest the house, and just to be on the safe side I don't use the compost on potatoes or tomatoes to avoid the possibility of pests or diseases being carried over.
Never found spud peelings sprouting in the compost, although I do use a veg peeler.

Egg shells are almost 100% chalk (calcium carbonate) so won't rot down in the usual sense although eventually they will dissolve in rain and soil acids. Not something to be using on ericaceous plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:37 »
I've never had a potato peel resprout, and blight can only persist on live potato or tomato parts, so would not be spread by properly composted material as it is dead. I compost in closed bins.

However, I would not use them in a bean trench open compost system for example, becasue then, whilst they are busy rotting down, they might be encouraged to grow early in the Spring. Others may think differently but this is mhho  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20 »
If you put the peelings in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, that should stop them sprouting and may kill off some diseases. Could use the water from draining your cooked spuds...
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:21 »
Jay, do you rip up the loo roll tubes, or put them in as they are? I've never had a compost heap before so no idea. I'm going to have to completely change my mindset about waste and what can be used to compost, I stead of mindlessly binning/ recycling  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31 »
As for egg shells, I always rinse mine out first, then crush them up

I can't remember which tv garden series I watched but I recall someone had a complex method of growing brassicas in a clubroot infested plot with good results.  The seeds were started off in pots of compost and repotted to develop a good root system before planting out - the final potting compost was a mix of compost, horticultural lime (obvious now) and crushed egg shells.  I'm not sure what the purpose of the egg shells are (calcium?) but ever since then I've saved all my egg shells and dried them, then used a mortar & pestle to break up and grind to a gritty powder and stored in a tub ready to use.  It's not as industrious as it sounds and while I realise the lime is the key to raising the pH, as I've always had good results it's a method I stick with.

xx
potato peelings in the compost?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 18:44
by sunshineband
xx
Paper shreddings and veg peelings

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 20:32
by Madame Cholet
xx
Potato plants from peelings

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 18:25
by Growster...
xx
Potato peelings on compost heaps

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 06:47
by Clampit

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 39 queries.