What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

richy

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2013, 21:54 »
Dropped off a good batch of manuar at the plot ready for later on in the year then went home to build the new walk in greenhouse. :)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2013, 22:22 »
Went for a walk round the allotment before having a snooze, ready for nightshift. While enjoying the sunshine, I swapped some red cabbage seeds for some bush tomato ones. Also checked the onion seedlings in the poly.  :)

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2013, 13:03 »
I dug over the onion bed and planted my Shallots, attacked a patch of brambles and weighed up where everything is going
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Paul Plots

« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2013, 14:02 »
On Sunday I escaped for two hours - managed to do some more digging and lift some leeks.

High hopes for getting it ship shape for Spring if only the old Howard rotavator will oblige again this year - bless it's bright orange socks.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jim1972

« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2013, 15:28 »
got the shallots (red sun and golden gourmet) in and some garlic. Beautiful day with blue skies and sunshine.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #320 on: February 19, 2013, 16:20 »
Slid over, picked some leeks, slid over again, picked beetroot, celariac, leeks and swedes.

Weeded 4 beds, got nagged at by OH for doing things wrong and continued to slip, slide away >:(

So I came home for a hot bovril.

blackberryjam

« Reply #321 on: February 19, 2013, 19:17 »
What a lovely day, finished digging, plots all ready for sowing now just need to repair my shed.  :D

plinston27

« Reply #322 on: February 19, 2013, 20:09 »
Cleaned out my inherited potting shed and started off some broad beans, peppers, chives, toms and purple sprouting broccoli.
Finished off my 8 small raised beds in the polytunnel and filled with my soil/manure mix that's been left to rot together.
Then just enjoyed the strangely warm weather an came home

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2013, 20:38 »
Another beautiful day here on the South Coast.  Gorgeous sunshine, no breeze and children running around having fun.  The children were wired this morning from days cooped up in the house - by the afternoon, they were relaxed and happy, playing nicely together.

Unusually for me, I dug over a 8ft square area that was so badly compacted, I decided to break my usual no dig policy.  This area of the plot hasn't been cultivated for at least ten years.  I am planning to plant potatoes in a portion of the area I have dug, with a lasagne bed over the top of the other area.

I gifted some raspberry canes which were excess to requirements to another very grateful plotholder which was nice.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2013, 21:16 »
What is a lasagne bed? I am waiting for my raspberries to arrive - am very impatient now!

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2013, 22:35 »
Compost bin emptied onto one roughly dug bed  :) Rest  re-piled for later use  :nowink:

Four new raised beds put in and filled ready to roll  :D

Shed emptied & repacked

Ache like billio now  ::)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2013, 22:46 »
What is a lasagne bed? I am waiting for my raspberries to arrive - am very impatient now!

Lasagne gardening allows you to cover the existing weeds, etc with cardboard or newspaper, then build up layers of greens (uncooked kitchen scraps, grass clippings, manure) and browns (newspaper, sawdust, straw).  Thoroughly wet all layers as you build.  Build as many layers as you can get your hands on the materials for. I usually aim at 6 layers.  You can allow to rot down, or you can simply top with a layer of soaked newspaper and compost and plant in the compost.  Because you build up so many layers, it helps to break down the weeds originally in the soil.  If the soil is compacted, fork over and water the area before starting.

Have a look either at my diary (look at the beginning) or at the following link for more information:

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

There are lots of examples on youtube too.

I have found it a great way to convert overgrown allotment plots into usable growing spaces very quickly.  I set up two lasagne beds on the new plot in June last year (only took over this half in October).  They are well draining and the condition of the soil is excellent now.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #327 on: February 20, 2013, 07:56 »
It sounds fascinating. If I had read this before I started to clear my jungle I might have considered it! As it is I have done most of the back breaking work now I think and only a small area left to clear before I can concentrate on improving the soil.

Jim the builder

« Reply #328 on: February 20, 2013, 08:31 »
Finished emptying my compost bin, lesson learned, regaurdless of what people tell you switch grass, nettles and dock do NOT compost down, but instead just happily go on growing and spreading through your compost bin till you end up with great compost riddled with weeds! :(

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #329 on: February 20, 2013, 17:25 »
Last weekend I sowed celeriac (Prinz)and leek (Toledo) in heated propagator.

Also 72 cloves of garlic in fibre pots, again in propagator. Yes I realise this is contrary to conventional wisdom but I've been doing it for several years now with cloves of original garlic from supermarket so I've no idea as to variety etc. It just works for me and gives us enough garlic to last all year.

Tomorrow I'll be preparing raised beds in polytunnel and then this weekend I'll be rotavating the  outdoor plots that have had tons of muck applied since last late summer.

Sheer relief to be able to work dryish soil after so long as a muddy patch
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 18:44 by DD. »

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.754 seconds with 30 queries.