What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2430 on: October 13, 2013, 13:18 »
It has been so frustrating being told not to do anything (Under Dotors Orders) but with the weather as it is, it makes me feel so much better that I could not do anything anyway!
Are you poorly Nige? Sorry to hear so if that's the case :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #2431 on: October 13, 2013, 17:36 »
Last patch of weeds to dig. Only managed small area as couch grass horrible to dig up and it rained! Picked sweetcorn, one small and one big pumpkin. Jack o lantern but going to be more adventurous next year. Last two courgetttes and pulled up plants and dug and weeded area. Dug up handful of leeks. Back tomorrow weather permitting  :) 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

blackberryjam

« Reply #2432 on: October 13, 2013, 19:11 »
Nothing ,it rained all day  :(
 Hopefully it will be better tomorrow, I need to weed my herb patch.

Lottiman

« Reply #2433 on: October 13, 2013, 19:43 »
Nothing done at the plot for me either :mad: A whole day of wall to wall rain!!  :nowink: So decided to get my fix and had a tidy up in the greenhouse, there's something very rewarding about the rain thrashing on the glass and still being able to get on!!!(two fingers up to the weather  :tongue2:) Enjoying myself so much thought I may as well get the garlic going in pots as beds not ready yet so I potted up 80 cloves. Maybe not a bad day after all me thinks  :)
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

blackberryjam

« Reply #2434 on: October 13, 2013, 21:34 »

Nothing done at the plot for me either :mad: A whole day of wall to wall rain!!  :nowink: So decided to get my fix and had a tidy up in the greenhouse, there's something very rewarding about the rain thrashing on the glass and still being able to get on!!!(two fingers up to the weather  :tongue2:) Enjoying myself so much thought I may as well get the garlic going in pots as beds not ready yet so I potted up 80 cloves. Maybe not a bad day after all me thinks  :)

That's a good idea lottiman didn't think of potting up garlic, I bought some today, so that will be  a job for tomorrow. Rain or shine  :)

chillimummy

« Reply #2435 on: October 14, 2013, 16:19 »
Managed couple of hours sunshine between showers.  :) Finally dug last bed which had never been used and was covered with grass and weeds when got plot last year. raked it level and manured it.
Great sense of achievment as have now got whole of plot in use. Got an extra quite large bed now for next year  :)

Ema

« Reply #2436 on: October 15, 2013, 23:33 »
Gave everything visual once over and picked some weeds for the bunnies

snowdrops

« Reply #2437 on: October 16, 2013, 10:54 »
Yesterday
Cut down the honeysuckle & clematis directly outside the greenhouse door,then cut down all the toms,cucs,peppers & chilli's,harvesting a small trug of cucumbers,& peppers/chilli's.
Trundled off with my trusty wheelbarrow to the plot with the compost from the chilli's & peppers & 2 of the large bags of compost that I grew the tomatoes in.Put some manure in compost bin1 & added the cut down honeysuckle,followed by the waste compost. Then I pruned off some of the squash plants/leaves that aren't producing & came across a reasonable pumpkin,1 green courgette & 3 tiny yellow ones. Then my plot neighbour H turned up with a builders sack full of leaves that she donated to my leaf mould bin. She's already filled her own bin & can get more from the caretaker at the school she works at. never thought of asking at schools-might be a thought for everyone else on here.

Aled

« Reply #2438 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13 »
Dug the turf between my two beds, to make one large plot.
looks good already.
Cheers
Aled

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2439 on: October 16, 2013, 19:35 »
got soaked through to the bone  :( been in it all day replacing glass in the greenhouse :mad:
diggity dig dig

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2440 on: October 16, 2013, 20:10 »
bored, bored, bored! too dark to go up before work, already dark when I get back.  :(
Picked some chicory for tea (in the near dark), and now settling in for a cagney&lacey fest on iplayer.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2441 on: October 16, 2013, 22:10 »
Went in the rain on my bike so couldn't pick the pumpkins left. Pottered about overseeing my little kingdom  :wub:

Cut chard/spinach for tea in the rain and dug out the sweetcorn I've given up on.  Pulled out bean frame and cut my beans off at the base... ready for ....

Happy day- it was manure delivery day so 2 barrows of wet muck on the bean roots for me!!! then had to pop into oldies coffee club in my yukky jeans, they didn't mind either bless 'em.  Reminds them of 'dig for victory' apparently ::)  Back for more barrow loads tomorrow.....

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2442 on: October 17, 2013, 18:43 »
Really? me again? or do I just need to get a life  :tongue2:

Got an hours worth of muck shovelling in. 4 more barrow loads.
Stripped out more nasturniams for the heap. 

Pumpkins down to 3 left and a medium butternut which is trying to ripen.  Dying to chop everything down, but hanging in there a few more days.....
Ate a strawb and a rasp.  Together  8)

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2443 on: October 17, 2013, 19:49 »
Got the rest of the glass in the greenhouse, broke a few panes doing it and cut me thumb :mad:somebody left me some strawberry plants I noticed earlier so  got them in to :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2444 on: October 17, 2013, 21:11 »
Paid my rent, up a whole £1 to £32.

My meeting finished early and it would have take longer to get to the office than home so....off to the plot I go! My kale's now in, one of the beds is weeded and I have attacked the blackthorn. It's grown 3.5ft in a year so with that and the sun being so much lower, my plot no longer has had sunshine in the afternoon.  :(

Took home some pears from my neighbour, as well as a baby Thelma Sanders and some chillies.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

67 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 20:20
by vikingraider

Page created in 1.049 seconds with 37 queries.