What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

MrsPea

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2400 on: October 06, 2013, 18:03 »
I've been really busy today taking runner beans down, giving veg plot a light dig over, cleared all the tomatoes out of the greenhouse then had a general tidy up, OH mowed the lawn. Friday we had both the lawns scarified what a difference it makes, we just need a good shower of rain now.  :) 
I Love my green house

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2401 on: October 06, 2013, 18:09 »
Had an hour so carried on digging up the horseradish.  Oh my.  About 1/3rd of it done, but some of that stuff is never gonna come out it's so deep.

Re thinking my Raspberry planting plan since I read they like shady roots and cool temps (ie shade).

Had a nice chat with plot neighbour Ted who told me about the lottie 'bring & chuck it on' bonfire on the 5th  :D apparently people bring wine and stuff  :tongue2:

jmc1949

« Reply #2402 on: October 06, 2013, 18:15 »
Cleared the sweet dumpling squash area and the last 2 courgette plants (had enough of them), weeded two beds and covered them, weeded between the strawberries, gave a large rhubarb crown to plot neighbours and had a general tidying session. Looks much better now.

allotmentann

« Reply #2403 on: October 06, 2013, 18:33 »
Planted winter onions and garlic. Removed another bean frame. Did some weeding. Harvested a huge carrier full of broad beans (second crop off one set of plants), several sweetcorn, another winter squash of unknown variety and three carriers full of courgettes. Looks like my outdoor tomatoes have developed blight and succumbed in the few days since I was last there. Tuesday they were finally turning red, but looking very healthy. Today they are dead and manky looking. So it looks like I need to remove and burn them.   :( On the plus side my perennial wild flower patch is starting to take off, and I have a glut of three whole damsons that I must find something to do with!   :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2404 on: October 06, 2013, 20:51 »
Took down all the tomatoes as botrytis had started on a lot of the stems.   3.5kg of green tomatoes!

Harvested some beans from the runner bean pods that had grown too stringy and cooked them with dinner and they were lovely, they had a really nice flavour.  Also another first for me was cooking the stalks of the spinach beet as a vegetable, which were also good, if quite mild in flavour.  It fooled the family members who don't like spinach and they ate it without question! Result!

Dug over a patch of soil where I am going to put the new loganberry when it comes, and scattered some GrowOrganic on it.
Anne

Flowertot

« Reply #2405 on: October 06, 2013, 22:38 »
Popped briefly down to the plot, bought seed garlic bulbs from the allotment shop and my eldest son (10) did the planting. After a discussion about the names of the varieties, he now wants to visit the Isle of Wight  :).

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2406 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55 »
Went down to get rid of cherry tom plants in the greenhouse but couldn't do it as they are still producing fruit! So removed the climbing French beans and their wigwam. Dug over the ground they had occupied.

jmc1949

« Reply #2407 on: October 07, 2013, 13:41 »
Cleared another bed and dug it over then started putting together a raised bed for the front of the plot.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2408 on: October 08, 2013, 17:23 »
Picked tomatoes, strawberries (yes  :tongue2:), raspberries, the last of the runner beans and blueberries, and scrutinised the sweet corn to see whether the one obviously good one is indeed the last one I will get this year.  :(

Finally bit the bullet before the weather and the water get too cold and heaved out the water lily from the pond together with half a ton of smelly mud - yuk! Sawed a good bit off with a pruning saw (these plants really do know how to grow :ohmy:), replanted in the basket, and lowered it back in with all lumbar discs thankfully still intact. Thank gawd that's done for another year or so!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2409 on: October 08, 2013, 18:12 »
Picked some baseball bat sized runner beans for tea.
Weeded the flower patch, goody, lots of calendula seed to collect soon.
Strained the comfrey feed (phew!)gave the runner beans a last feed and fed the celeriac.
Moved three barrows of wood chip, 2x70 litre bags of mpc up the hill to the plot and 2x70 litre bags of mpc to home. (The compost was a raffle prize, the most useful one I have ever won)
Did a lot of talking to various plot-holders.

Lottie Digger

« Reply #2410 on: October 08, 2013, 20:44 »
Still harvesting everything....can't believe it....funny old year.  Courgettes really kicking off now, sweetcorn has produced 3 cobs on all plants. Lots of french & runner beans. Butternut squash are huge, lots of soup me thinks :lol:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2411 on: October 08, 2013, 21:09 »
Cleared pumpkin bed and fleeced squashes. I want them to have as much sun as they can. I will probably have to cut them next week as the plants are beginning to shrivel. Harvested some runner beans, beetroot and leek and noticed more courgette growing.... I was going to pull them up. Back tomorrow for Plotfather to strim the borders and paths and me to potter about.

blackberryjam

« Reply #2412 on: October 08, 2013, 21:30 »
Cleared one Runnerbean bed , won't be growing fire storm again I found them tasteless.
Spread manure over the bed. Weeded winter onions. Picked a sweetcorn pulled up some carrots.  :)

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2413 on: October 08, 2013, 23:01 »
Nothing as I am away with work for two weeks so to cheer myself up I went on the Blackmoor Fruit website and ordered Strawberry plants and 2 Rhubarb crowns so I have something to look forward to sorting out when I get back!! This is the start of my fruit collection  :D

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2414 on: October 09, 2013, 07:08 »
Busy few weeks but have managed a few odd hours. Planted 2 beds of hardy annual flower seeds. Removed the bean frame and planted some garlic (name escapes me), leeks and cabbages are being eaten so going up to iChat with coffee grounds to see if that works. Harvested 6 sweet or. Co s a d ate them 2 hours later, boy oh boy were they delicious :). realised I havent got as much space as I thought so will have have a good planning session. Maybe the annuals were not such a good idea!!! Really pleased with what we've grown in our first year :)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 38 queries.