Unidentified raspberry bushes

• 5 Replies

Touché Turtle

Unidentified raspberry bushes
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:29 »
Hello all,
I've been (quiet) member of the forum for some time, as a chicken keeper, but now I'm also an allotment holder.. hurrah!

My quick question relates to the rasperry bushes on my new plot. There are 5 tucked away at the end, but I don't know if they're summer or autumn varieties, so don't know whether I should cut them back or not.
I believe that cutting back summer ones stops them fruiting the following year, but will it hurt autumn ones to NOT be cut back? Should I just leave them be until they fruit?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks, TT
Touché Away......!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unidentified raspberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36 »
If you can see the remains of flowers/fruit on any of the stems then cut those ones out now - this applies to Summer and Autumn ones, so quite safe  ;)

If you can't then you'll have to wait and see what happens. .....they'll look a bit scrappy next year without pruning, but you will get some fruit whatever type they are.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 14:25 »
Ask an allotment neighbour when they flowered this year.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 23:47 »
If you can see the remains of flowers/fruit on any of the stems then cut those ones out now - this applies to Summer and Autumn ones, so quite safe  ;)

Follow this advice and you cannot be wrong. If they are autumn raspberries that will be every stem.

As a rule Autumn varieties only usually grow to about 4 ft and need minimum support. Summer varieties grow to 5/6 ft and will usually have a support frame of some sort.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45 »
As a rule Autumn varieties only usually grow to about 4 ft and need minimum support. Summer varieties grow to 5/6 ft and will usually have a support frame of some sort.

Can only speak for Autumn Bliss but mine mostly grow taller than me (6')
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Touché Turtle

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 16:38 »
Thank you for the advice folks. I shall look closely for remains of fruit when I pop down there tomorrow (rain allowing), although I would have thought any fruit would be well over by now?  I think they must be autumn ones anyway as they're quite short stems, hadn't realised summer ones were much taller.

xx
Can you get raspberry bushes?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 09:46
by mumofstig
xx
Which Raspberry Bushes?

Started by Rexmundi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 08:48
by RJR_38
xx
Moving Raspberry Bushes

Started by Higster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 13:06
by savbo
xx
Raspberry and Blueberry bushes

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 12:07
by Kagganz

Page created in 2.59 seconds with 33 queries.